iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone know what this tool is for?

Started by peter nap, October 27, 2008, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

I know a maskmaker (carver) in southern Mexico, he makes all his own chisels and gouges from car springs... his tools look sort of rough, but they seem to work well. I have never seen him make anything nearly as big as one of these slicks.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Chuck White

I can't see Peter Nap's photos, but I know that the two knives in the center of Beenthere's photo are hay knives.

An Ice saw is like an old two-man cross-cut saw on steroids.  Lots of teeth.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

peter nap

Quote from: zopi on October 31, 2008, 09:21:22 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 31, 2008, 07:48:48 PM
I wonder what kind of polish that leaf spring steel will take.

Almost mirror if ya want to to go that much trouble...hadda friend made Bowie knives by hand out of springs...you could shave with the blade or use it as a mirror...lotta work though..

Like most things, there's an easy way to get the mirror polish.
A knife maker friend in Arkansas came up with this and it works slicker than anything I've tried.

You do need a belt grinder to speed it up.
Grind your blade to final shape after forging and heat treating. Grind the primary bevel down and then start wotking the whole thing with finer grit belts.

Buy a 15.00 finish sander and peel the rubber off the pad. Glue a scrap piece ofMicarta where the rubber pad was so you have a hard surface.

Take it through the finer and finest grades of wet paper with that. It goes quickly. Finish up with a buffing wheel.

Thank You Sponsors!