iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664 or Treefarmer C4 Purchase

Started by C4treefarmer, January 17, 2024, 10:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4treefarmer

Looking for recommendations. I have the option of buying a 664b Clark with a 3-53 or a c4 treefarmer with a deutz.

My question is which machine should I buy? The 3-53 is loud and the deutz is a great engine, but I am told the Clark will be the better machine.

How would the 353 compare to the deutz for fuel burn?

I have had Treefarmers so I don't know how to place the Clark against it.

Thanks for your suggestions

mike_belben

When i worked at a diesel shop many years ago, detroits were always in and deutz very rarely.. probably a 10:1 ratio. 

I cant complain about my ancient old 353s other than being obnoxiously loud and gutless and smoky, and ive never owned a deutz but i have never encountered a negative deutz opinion in a few decades of listening for one.

When working for junkyards i sold one from a compressor and the buyer flew across the country to see it, pay top dollar, then ship it back to washington state to repower a screening plant.  He had a gravel pit and insisted on them as one of the best engines ever made.  I am partial to 6BTs with bosch inline pumps.

I know nothing about the rest of either machine.
Praise The Lord

chep

For me it would be about the winch. Does one have a gearmatic? Clark winches are legendary.

Corley5

Some later C4s have Centrax axles. New parts are NOT available for them. Deutz engines are tough. I'd take one over a Detroit any day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Deutz are good motors, that are easy on fuel and start great in the cold weather. Only thing you need to do is make sure to keep the cooling fins clean clean clean. Take care of any oil leaks as they will attract dust and reduce the cooling efficiency.

Stephen Alford

An additional consideration would be the rubber ... forestry specials are around 2500 ea tubes 300 and thats with you installing.   Tires have to match up on each axle.  Have seen what looks like good rubber but only farm tractor tires . If you were to steam wash them you would certainly be a lot more comfortable with your choice . look forward to pics .  :)
logon

C4treefarmer

I know my way around the c4, and the deutz. I had one of them with a cancar 20 on it.

I don't know the Clark's, but I also don't know the 353. Would I be better off to buy another Treefarmer and find one with a deutz, or take the 664 with the 353?

I dread the noise, but at this point, noise is acceptable but no wood moving is not.

Is the 353 something to avoid, if possible?

Plankton

I have a 664 with a 353. I was pulling wood with it today actually. Ive never been around a treefarmer peraonally but a 664 is an awesome machine for the size. Very stable easy and cheap to work on and transmissions are great. You can get almost any part. If it has a clark winch they are the best made.

I personally love the sound of a detroit pulling a hitch but I guess thats just me. I put earplugs in under my hardhat with earmuffs and the sound doesnt bother at all. Very reliable and cheap to rebuild engines that sip fuel. Mine started this morning at 5* F. Ive pulled 2 trailer loads if big oak in 2 days on around 15 gals fuel. Granted its a pretty short skid but they are not fuel hogs.

Edit: as far as power goes for that size machine I think its plenty. Unless Im going uphill steep or pulling a really heavy hitch I can go most places in high range on the clark 2spd transmission.

KWood255

Overall condition would be my first consideration. The 664 has a reputation of being bulletproof, with most parts available pretty easily. I doubt the C4 parts are as simple to come by.

A well tuned 3-53 is a great engine. Yes, they may be loud but ear plugs are still incredibly cheap! Fuel economy on a Detroit would be very tough to beat, but I cannot speak to a Deutz...never been around them. I have owned 5x 3-53's and 1x 4-53. Plenty of power for pulling wood with an old cable skidder. I can't see how they could be underpowered in the environment where I live, especially while sipping fuel. It would be tough to burn 10 gallons in a hard day. 5 gallons would be plenty of good drags.

I currently have a 664D and love it. Certainly a few changes since the B models, but I doubt you can go wrong.

About 5-6 years ago I did a rebuild on a 3-53. With pistons, rings, cylinder liners, gaskets and bearings I was in for about $4000cdn. I'm sure the prices have increased like everything else.

barbender

I've never ran a Duetz engine in a skidder, but the ones I've been around in other equipment have been bulletproof. Really easy on fuel.

The 3-53's I've ran in cable skidders have a all been reliable, decent for power and LOUD.
Too many irons in the fire

KWood255

Quote from: barbender on January 17, 2024, 09:38:57 PM
I've never ran a Duetz engine in a skidder, but the ones I've been around in other equipment have been bulletproof. Really easy on fuel.

The 3-53's I've ran in cable skidders have a all been reliable, decent for power and LOUD.

Not to mention the "cool" factor of a GM supercharged 2 stroke diesel !!!

chet

Ran a Deutz powered C5D for many years. Nothing but praise for that engine, especially the ease of cold weather starting. Granted it didn't sound as sexy as da 353 I got in my backhoe.   :laugh:
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

tacks Y

I would think a 2 stroke would burn more fuel over a 4 stroke every time???

bushmechanic

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 353.We ran them in Timberjack 230D forwarders and were always good for 10,000 hours when rebuilt right. The Deutz is a nice engine also. I would be thinking of the Centrax differentials, hard to get parts for and for sure it has a problematic winch :D. Clark winches are legendary and running gear. I have two Tree Farmers but they are B series with Rockwell Diff's, oh and the Cotta parts are also very expensive now too.

Thank You Sponsors!