iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55 Rancher Cylinder scoring

Started by kenskip1, December 14, 2005, 03:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

During a routein exam after some substained use I removed the muffler to have a look at the piston on this Husky55. I was disapointed to see a small score on the side of the piston. Now the saw runs perfect, but I have a suspicion that if allowed to continue this thing may self destruct. It has 165+ pounds of compression, and starts first pull after warm up. I mix the oil at 40-1.Other than this, the saw responds well to carb adjustments. It has enough spark to light up my tree.
Also I called my local dealer and got a quote on a new cylinder, piston and ring. $ 200 plus. I only payed $100 for the saw from a pawn shop and another $26. for chainbrake clutch spring and clutch drive sprocket.The thing that bothers me is that I like my equipment to be in near perfect working condition. I run them hard but they recieve excellant maintance. Any suggestions? Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Jeff

You could enter the Christmas contest and have a shot at winning a new saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

run it til it pops. it may never pop but if it does you will only be out the parts that are messed up now. maybe

Rocky_J

Could the damage have existed before you bought the saw? I'd fugetaboutit unless and until there was a drop in performance. Right now you have a good running saw for $100, no need to dump another $200 into it if it's still running great.

dozerdan

Hi Ken
If the piston only has minor marks on it and the saw still has good compression, I would bet money that the cylinder is fine. I have replaced a few pistons in the 55s and most of the time all you have to do is clean the piston material from the cylinder. Most of the time those cylinders will clean up with no marks at all. You may want to consider taking the saw apart and have a look at the bore, if its good just replace the piston. They can be had for 35-40 delivered in the lower 48. You will also have to measure your bore size before you order a piston. The first 55s had a 46mm bore and the newer EPA 55 had a 45mm bore.
I cant see taking the chance of ruining a good saw for 40.00.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

SawTroll

Quote from: dozerdan on December 16, 2005, 12:52:09 AM
..... The first 55s had a 46mm bore and the newer EPA 55 had a 45mm bore. ...
??? That statement made me wonder as a 45 mm bore in a Husky 55 would effectively make it a 51.

I looked up the latest OM for the 55 EPA II, and it said 46 mm bore, 32 mm stroke and 53 cc - as it were from the beginning in the 55.
Information collector.

dozerdan

Hi
  Like it or not they had two different bore sizes on the 55, 46-45mm. I have seen and replace both sizes in those saws. They also did the same thing to the 350, they had two different bore sizes.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

SawTroll

Quote from: dozerdan on December 16, 2005, 11:22:46 AM
....... They also did the same thing to the 350, they had two different bore sizes.
Later
Dan
Yes, sort of.

They recently replaced the old 49.4 cc engine in the 350 and 2150 with a 51.7 cc one, probably a downrated version of the 353/2152 engine. However, I do not think that they have made both versions at the same time.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!