iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Edge Slab Workshop, WERC, WV June 4th

Started by Don P, February 27, 2020, 07:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Harry Watt dropped by the jobsite yesterday on his way back from WERC. He'll be doing a live edge slab workshop June 4th. Here's the particulars. Hope to see you there!

A workshop led by successful slab business owners and Marty Parsons of PA Woodmizer who will be giving demos on a Woodmizer HD 40 sawmill sawing slabs.
Classroom discussions will cover sourcing logs, sawmills and dry kiln equipment, marketing, business startup, air drying and the five star identification system for thick lumber live edge slabs.
The workshop will be held at the Wood Education and Resource Center at 301 Hardwood Lane in Princeton, WV at the Athens Exit on I-77.
Harry Watt is the workshop coordinator for this workshop. His contact information is email at harry_watt@ncsu.edu and cell phone at 704-880-3067.
Additional information can be found at https://outreach.cnr.ncsu.edu/ncwood.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thick-lumber-live-edge-slab-business-workshop-tickets-91902965243

He's also been working on cross laminated timbers for residential and affordable housing use. Its still early but looks promising, this is a sample from one of their panels.

WV Sawmiller

I have been to 3 of these events during the last 5 years or so and they are a lot of fun and very educational. Harry is a great guy and gathers some class acts to present at these events. Marty always puts on a great demo and I pick up some new sawing trick/tip every time I watch him plus it is a great time to network with counterparts from around the area. Plus it is only about 25 miles from my front door. I sure plan to attend.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 27, 2020, 08:36:02 AM
   Harry is a great guy and gathers some class acts to present at these events.
Howard, your ears musta been burning. He said basically the same about you and sends a hello. See ya there :).

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

This sounds very appealing, but I checked and it is 9.5 hours drive for me. A bit much just yet. Maybe next time, I hope. Maybe I could bring a tent and stay at Howard's place? ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH - VIP FF members have been known to park their campers and overnight here in the past but the guest bedroom is available when you are in the area.
Howard Green

Tom the Sawyer

I had a chance to attend this workshop two years ago, when it was held in Morganton, NC.  Attending a one-day workshop, 930 miles from home (2 days each way) wouldn't normally make sense but, when I mentioned it was 30 miles from my wife's new found sister's home, she was eager to hit the road. This one is about 50 miles closer but, after driving 1000 miles to Jake's gathering in April, we'll have to pass.

The workshop was very worthwhile, and I believe there were about 50 sawyers in attendance.  It is unfortunate that this type of information is not more widely available.  I am sure the topic would be of interest to sawyers all over the country.  On several previous seminars or workshops, I have mentioned that streaming the program could have a wide audience.  

For me, these are held during prime milling season and I would gladly pay a fee to be able to sit in front my computer all day, get the information, and not lose multiple days of productivity by driving so far.  I participate in several forestry-related webinars each month, streamed out for free, and viewed by people all over the county. Of course, you would miss out on the networking and donuts. :)

Perhaps if the organizers heard from those who were interested in the material but were able to attend because of the distance, they might consider providing on-line access.   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Old Greenhorn

Tom has a good idea here .  But having set up such stuff I know it's a lot of extra work for the organizer. Still, I too would be happy to pay for that. I should have mentioned that my thinking is that I may be making some money  year from now and it could be a business trip which puts it in a slightly different light 😂. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

It is a good idea, I can ask but sorta doubt the funding is there. If it helps make your decision, I believe this is the last one. I think there is one more sawmill and firewood workshop scheduled after this one in the grant.

I think the main tip everyone got the last time Marty was sawing was don't let me figure bf on my fingers :D

Thank You Sponsors!