iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree question

Started by Mike14, June 23, 2019, 03:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike14

I've got a pine that's split in two in an unusual manner.The right (wonky) side looks way more healthy than the taller main trunk. I'm wondering if I should cut the less healthy looking part off. Or what steps should be taken to make this tree thrive. I appreciate any feedback

jimparamedic

Take it down. Not going to be a good tree to keep. It will tear up the fence when it gets big if left

Mike14

It may be best to take down. I'm not sure. The fence is being moved back 20' later this summer 

lxskllr

I don't think that tree will ever thrive, but it's kind of interesting to look at. The two options I'd choose from are leave it as-is, or cut the main leader even with the fuller part on the right. Whatever option you choose, you should be prepared for catastrophic failure, and be willing to lose whatever's in it's path. I'm not any kind of arborist, and I'm partial to imperfect trees, so you should take the above with a grain of salt.

SwampDonkey

Looks like balsam or Fraser fir. I would take it down. Probably half rotten in the main stem down at the bottom.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

I'm thinking Swamp Donkey has cut enough trees that  his opinion should carry some weight. You look at a tree and try to imagine what it looks like inside, then cut it and see, and do that over and over and develop a good eye for these things.

Thank You Sponsors!