iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bird peck

Started by luvmexfood, June 27, 2015, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

If a tree has a lot of bird peck on it but the leaves look otherwise healthy should it be harvested or will it continue to grow at a respectable rate? Trees are mainly poplar, maple and cucumber that I am seeing this on. Hate to cut a tree that has long term potential but then if it is only going to "hold its own" or go down hill then I will harvest it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mesquite buckeye

I have seen noted by others that if you remove a pecked tree, the birds, presumably sapsuckers, will start pecking another tree. That makes some sense to me. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

elk42

Does the bird pecks look like this if so it is sapsucker.

This was an elm that was about 20" and it was not hurt. As it grew I think it left black spots in the boards.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

SwampDonkey

I've had them buzzards bad at the house at the farm. They have killed a larch and a red pine is riddled with pecks and sap ooze. I have seen 4 at a time on that pine.  >:(

Generally they don't kill the trees, but they sure can.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

luvmexfood

Yes that's what the holes look like. Hadn't thought about them moving over to another tree but honestly on the couple I went ahead and took out there wasn't many spots left for them to peck.

Ringed around the tree about every foot and between looked like you had shot it with buckshot. Probably not an inch separating the holes.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Autocar

Here in Ohio they like walnuts there peck into the sap wait a day or two then come back and eat the bugs thats licking up the sap  :D. I gave two grand for a walnut in Paulding Cty Ohio it was a 22 26 and it looked like a dandy standing there but after cutting it every so called veneer log after the butt log had bird peck. I didn't do so good on that log but it sure was pretty laying on the log yard  ;D.
Bill

Chuck White

In this area, Sap Suckers mainly go for the Hemlocks.

However, it seems that if you plant a tree in your yard (regardless of species) they seem to hit that, just as soon as they see it's big enough!   :-\   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Hemlock here also get well attended by those buzzards.  :snowball:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!