iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tools for the shop

Started by Woodchuck53, July 03, 2011, 01:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

Well new to me anyway. Found a 20" x 80" Clausing metal lathe and Webb 3hp. mill.
Tried to load some pictures but having some trouble getting them to my gallery. Anyway the fellow is pretty sick at home and knew I wanted a larger lathe so he hooked me up pretty resonable on both machines for cash and some sawed pine. I've known him for years and knew he took care of his stuff. Got to get another phase converter and will be in business. It's taken a life time but just about have the shop full of what I need and a few of what I want. A little paint and they will look brand new. Now got to tell the wife about them.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Larry

That's just  8) 8) 8) 8)

I've been exploring metalworking for several years now.  It's a bit embarrassing that a good machinist 80 years ago could do things I can't even comprehend today.

I have a little Model A 9" South Bend and a Burke horizontal mill I'm restoring. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Woodchuck53

Hey Larry I might have a 13" x 48" Southbend for sale. The boy is making noises about the big one so may not keep it.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

pineywoods

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on July 03, 2011, 11:46:48 PM
Hey Larry I might have a 13" x 48" Southbend for sale. The boy is making noises about the big one so may not keep it.

I might be interested in the southbend. I'm close enough to come get it. Have a little 6 inch clausing that sometimes just ain't big enough.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chris Burchfield

I traded an old Atlas for a Southbend 9" X 36".  Has a quick change gearbox, taper attachment 3 & 4 jaw chucks.  Wouldn't part until I have to.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

aigheadish

Digging this post back up for a new tool addition! I don't know if there is a better thread? 

I've been using a cheap, semi-broken bandsaw, then a hand-me-down that was of low quality, and I loaned Uncle Sam some money that he paid me back for (interest free too! How sweet of me!), so I went shopping for a new bandsaw. I saw, on Cramazon, the Rikon models that got great reviews and I started by checking out the 10" model. Looks good. Then I saw the 14" model with the 1.5 HP motor, looks real good. I didn't pull the trigger on either but Saturday I went to the local Woodcraft store and saw them in person. 

The 10" model looks like a cute little toy. I'm sure it works fine but I was amazed at how small it is. Then the two 14" models sat behind that one and they looked nice. After looking over some of the features I bought one and brought it home. I set it up yesterday and it's pretty sweet. Lots of nice features, it's relatively easy to set up, and it's ready to go! My favorite feature so far is the electrical outlet on the back that let's me plug in my light! There are several other ease-of-use features I like too, but that outlet is a nice touch. I'll be excited to use it for many years!

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

rusticretreater

I have the same model, tho older and its held up well.  There used to be a lamp included but the mounting was a problem and it constantly sagged until you dug in there and fixed it.  So they did away with it.  You probably should go order a set of replacement bearings for it. My originals didn't last all that long IIRC.

I have a closeable cabinet in the bottom which keeps the dust out.  That was probably nixed in a cost-cutting move.  Over the dust port at the bottom, they placed a metal flap that people often remove. You might want to research that.  If you have good dust collection, you can probably pull enough to make it work without the flap and keep it clean inside.

One modification I made was concerning the adjustment of the bearings under the table.  Its somewhat difficult to get access to the mechanism on the right side and hold it just right while tightening the knob.  So I drilled an access hole in the side that allows me to directly push on it with a screwdriver or dowel.  Much easier.

Hope you like the saw!

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

aigheadish

Yeah, they had a cabinet in the up-priced 14" model, with a 1 3/4 HP motor, but they wanted another couple hundred bucks for it, and I was already over-extending my budget. I imagine if I ever get to using that shelf too much I could enclose it somehow, but for now it's just holding the manual. 

No flap on mine, I don't think. I didn't look too hard and my initial cuts were few, so I wasn't worried about dust collecting. I really like the wheel that raises and lowers the upper blade guard and guides, it's quite smooth and a nicer than what I had previously. 

The bearings you speak of are the blade guide rollers? I'll keep that in mind. I'm guessing, with the amount of work I'll do with this that that shouldn't be an issue for a while but I've also seen some other pretty slick guides out there that may be nice to try out, especially if I get into resawing much. 

Thanks for the tips!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

rusticretreater

Yes the blade guide rollers.  Standard size.  You can buy them by the roll off of Ebay or Amazon.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!