iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smallest stihl "0" series saw to run 3/8" chain

Started by 421Altered, November 07, 2019, 09:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

What is the smallest of the older Stihl "0" series to be able to handle 3/8 pitch chain.  Would that be something on the order of a 029 or there about?  I know bar length and type of wood to be cut would make a difference. I like the way 3/8 chain cuts better than .325 chain.

realzed

Imagine you could run one on a 026 with a short 16" or possibly even and 18" if it was very sharp all of the time, the saw was in very good shape, and the wood was fairly soft - but it might be pushing it in many circumstances.
Like most things chainsaw related - anyone can make something not work if they have the intent or desire to mess stuff up - just as there are some with patience and talent who can make things successful..

sawguy21

X2 The 026 will work as long as the bar is short and the chain is kept sharp. Let the saw do the work, don't push it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pine

I have an 026 from 1994 that came with a 20 inch bar and 3/8 inch chain straight from the saw shop.
25 slightly plus years later that saw is still running a 20 inch bar and 3/8 chisel chain and runs it very well. 
I read all the time where folks say that the 026 can't run a 20 inch bar but it does it very well. 
Now I admit I keep a sharp chain and touch it up lightly often.  Takes much less metal off the chain if you touch it up frequently rather than getting it dull and then grinding the devil out of it.

Thank You Sponsors!