iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Consorting with Pecan (the Devil) and Need Advice

Started by WDH, August 19, 2013, 09:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I can't argue with success (or unsuccess) but Bondo will absorb moisture over time.  As an autobody filler it has a sealed metal substrate and is completely sealed with the topcoat, preventing moisture absorption.

I would suppose (haven't done it or seen it) that if using Bondo with wood, if the wood isn't at 6-8% MC, the filler will absorb the moisture directly from the wood and swell.  Not a big deal if it's at the bottom of a door or the bottom of a bench that stays outside.  A HUGE deal if on a piece of fine woodworking considering time and materials used.  Just my a..hole opinion...

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Texas Ranger

Now that the decision has been made, had a thought.   A material called floor leveler, or words to that effect, bought as a powder, mixed with water, and spread on floors to level cracks, etc.  Might work.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Well, I finished the entry table tops.  They await their wrought iron bases.  Actually, the black jack roofing cement on the one experimental area turned out OK.  I don't think that I gave it enough time to cure.  Anyway, here are some pics after three coats of satin polyurethane and paste wax.  The first  is a pic of the top that had the black jack experiment.  It was applied to the cracks on the near end of this pic in the area of the dutchman. 

Here is the other top.  There is a lot more going on in this piece, including more heartwood to sapwood contrast, some figured grain, and the crotch split.  I don't think that not filling the long crack was a bad move in the end.  Maybe the black jack would have worked it I had been judicious in application and let it cure for at least several days. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

What finish did you use? They sure are purdy! How much of a discount are you gunna give me on the one with the big crack in it?  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Pretty nice for pretzel wood, methinks. smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Look here O Great One......I'm not reading back through all these replies......but have you put anything in that crack yet?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

P,

They will be leaving here tomorrow  :).

Jake, I will cut the price from $350 to $325  ;D.  The finish turned out really nice.  It is this stuff in the link.  Dries fast, can be re-coated in 4 - 6 hours.  Thin with 25% mineral spirits and apply with a foam brush.  Buff with 0000 steel wool between coats.  Move the foam brush slowly with very light pressure and the finish will flow out just right.  I use the clear satin.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/interior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-fastdrying-polyurethane

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Those look great Danny. Did they come out of some of the pecan we sawed?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Yes sir.  Out of some of that orchard pecan we sawed 2 1/2 years ago. 

Axe Handle Hound

That piece turned out really nice and I like your choice of satin poly.  Too much gloss can make a good piece look gawdy.  I think your customer is going to be very pleased.

WDH

This finish is especially nice, a soft low sheen.  The camera flash reflects the light and does not show the real depth of the finish. 

Magicman

That Devil is really pretty.  I am anxious to see the finished table.   :)

I have a customer that did an entire kitchen with Pecan.  Counter tops/door panels, table and benches.  Once it dries and does it's thing, it works very well. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Looking sharp Danny!  Can't wait to see pix of the finished piece.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Lud

looks real nice, Danny.   The crack will look even darker when paired up with black metal legs......... ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!