iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unwanted house guest

Started by ely, March 17, 2011, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

my girlfriend found this guy flying around the house last night.

it doesent have the green color that i seen on the bugs in the sawmill and woodlot mag. awhile back but it sure has the shape and look. any guesses?

northwoods1

Yah, that is magnificent specimen of one of those *&%tards I always make it a point to step on when I am walking around my pine log piles. That is what lays the eggs of the grubs that bore holes through your pine logs. AKA asian longhorn beetle.

Mooseherder

Don't shoot while it is indoors. ;D

lumberjack48

Is that what we call a Jack Pine Savage  ?
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

RynSmith

Well I'm no entomologist but there are many native longhorn beetles and I, for one, sure as heck hope it's not an Asian longhorn in Oklahoma...   :o

On the off chance anyone wants to try to identify it, this site may help:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/171/bgimage

northwoods1

Quote from: RynSmith on March 17, 2011, 01:01:07 PM
Well I'm no entomologist but there are many native longhorn beetles and I, for one, sure as heck hope it's not an Asian longhorn in Oklahoma...   :o

On the off chance anyone wants to try to identify it, this site may help:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/171/bgimage

Hello Ryn, I am no entomologist either I barely graduated the 10 grade :D. but that sure as heck looks like the same type of beetle that there are scads of all over this area. I'd recognize that little nasty critter anywhere as the one that creates a type of grub that eats certain types of woods. I am surprised that you do not have it down your way... do you have anything similar? If not it could very well be what I am describing.

RynSmith

I'm just saying I hope it's not an Asian longhorn beetle.  There are many native longhorns that are a part of our ecosystems even though we may not like what they do to our logs.  And yeah, there are several native species out here too!

The Asian one, on the other hand, would be highly destructive to standing live trees (think emerald ash borer without being species specific) and only confirmed in Boston and NYC right now (I think).

This isn't great but it's what I could find right now...

http://www.asian-longhorned-beetle.com/asianlonghornedbeetle-2.htm

Tom

While the fuzzy picture makes real identification difficult, it still has all of the earmarks of a Sawyer (Sawyer Pine Beetle)

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/pinesawyerbeetle.htm

northwoods1

Quote from: Tom on March 17, 2011, 02:06:57 PM
While the fuzzy picture makes real identification difficult, it still has all of the earmarks of a Sawyer (Sawyer Pine Beetle)

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/pinesawyerbeetle.htm

That is what it more likely is, like Ryn pointed out the Asian beetles attack living trees. I don't think you could go wrong by squashing it though.  :D

g_man

To me the little white spot in the top middle of its back makes it a Pine Sawyer not an Asian Long Horn. You don't want to see any of them.

sandhills

ely

he does have two small dots on his back. and in my picture taking defence he his sorta fuzzy in person too. could just be dusty from flying around my house though.....i didnt say that if my girlfriend ever reads this.

we have alot of what i call thump bugs or pine bore beetles here. they are grey and black in color, sort of mottled. they will make a click or thumping noise if you pin them down. they do not have the long anttennae like this one. i have probably only seen 8 or ten like this before.

SwampDonkey

Well it's in the sawyer group for sure like all them bugs mentioned. They all like to chew up wood.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

As soon as I cut a white pine tree they are there.Real odd the way they can sniff them trees out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've been on a log yard as the guy was bringing the wood out. Standing there talking and visiting and be almost run over by the sawyers flying and colliding with your shirt or ball cap and landing to check out the dinner table. They bite. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BOBWOOD

We have the sawyer beetles here too...and like thecfarm said they sure do sniff out the fresh cut lumber...kinda funny seeing them walking around on the cant as it passes through the saw...they do bite but the headsaw bites more :D

madmari

I'd go with a .45-70 minimum on that beetle thingy. Would'nt want to wound it and let it get back to the camp to warn others.
  Happy hunting......
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

estiers

Photo credit: Donald Duerr, USDA Forest Service, Bugwood.org

Here is a comparison.  This is an Asian Longhorned Beetle.  Looks like it has "more meat on its bones" than your specimen.  Plus, the legs are different.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Chuck White

Common terminology in this area, it's a Pine Beetle!

Note;  They will bite too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Mc

Quote from: RynSmith on March 17, 2011, 01:40:52 PM
I'm just saying I hope it's not an Asian longhorn beetle...

The Asian one, on the other hand, would be highly destructive to standing live trees (think emerald ash borer without being species specific) and only confirmed in Boston and NYC right now (I think).

The initial outbreak of ALB in Massachusetts was in Worcester (central Mass). It was there for a number of years before they realized they had a problem. Boston has been a relatively recent addition to the affected area.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Coon

We got long horned spruce beetles here and man o man they will make you high-tail it outta the bush if you let em under your britches.   :D  They sure take a slab o' meat with em when they take a bite.  I've been known to play baseball with em with a piece of edging while tailing bords of the mill.  They make almost as much noise, when you connect, as if you hit a softball.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

estiers

Quote from: RynSmith on March 17, 2011, 01:40:52 PM

ALB is currently in MA (Worcester), NY, and NJ.  The Boston find was 6 trees.  They are surveying there currently, and have found no new positive trees past the initial 6.  ALB has also been found in the Chicago area.  However, that area has been declared eradicated since 2007.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Phorester

I'd go with rat shot rather than that solid point laying next to it.

Ed_K

The Worcester outbreak went 12 yrs before detection,as of dec 2010. 83 sq mi is quorantined (spelling) and over 28 thousand trees have been cut and chipped,stumps too.They are now injecting the leftovers to try and save whats left.You don't want to see one of those beetles.Our maple industry is really scared that some of them where transported to other places in firewood.  :( :( :(
Ed K

John Mc

Quote from: Ed_K on March 19, 2011, 05:10:31 PM
Our maple industry is really scared that some of them where transported to other places in firewood.  :( :( :(

We're worried here in Vermont as well. We've had no reports of ALB in the state so far, but you just know it's got to be here with the length of time the outbreak went undetected in Worcester, MA. Someone had to have decided to put that dead tree in their back yard to good use by cutting it up for firewood. What are the chances a bunch of those folks decided "hey, lets bring some firewood with us up to the vacation home/hunting cabin/campground when we go up to Vermont..."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!