iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yellow pine.

Started by daniel372, July 27, 2015, 08:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel372

I have a stack of yellow pine that has been stacked for about 4 months. They have to white grubs in them at the moment but i am still milling them. Should i spray anything on my air dryed stack? i have the stack under a owning.  Also with the logs being stacked this long will it effect the way it cuts? few my logs just wont cut right i dont know if it is my mill or the log.

WDH

The white grubs cannot survive in the wood once it begins to get dry.  Spraying won't help as they are already in the wood.  Putting a fan on the stack to speed drying will help to cease their activity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bkaimwood

Nothing reasonable stops the white grubs...but they don't affect the wY the logs saw, just increase losses...like wdh said, they have a short life span in sawn, drying lumber...although I've had some active 6 months after some 12 and 16/4 lumber was sawn, so thickness of lumber will effect this greatly, due to the amount of time moisture supports them in the wood...everytime I see one, I spray it with brake-clean... They love it...I hate them...I can hear them chewing...I get extreme satisfaction every time I saw one in half...I hate them...I can hear them chewing....chewing...
bk

WDH

Quote from: bkaimwood on July 28, 2015, 07:12:59 PM
although I've had some active 6 months after some 12 and 16/4 lumber was sawn, so thickness of lumber will effect this greatly, due to the amount of time moisture supports them in the wood...

Excellent point.  Really thick lumber takes a long time to dry, giving those chewing, chewing, chewing white grubs more time for chewing, chewing, chewing..........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!