iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone know yellow pine?

Started by Jsant27, September 30, 2015, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsant27

I am doing some timber framed accents for a house...beams and posts in the living room, and went to the sawyer and had him offer yellow pine, which im not familiar with.  How is it compared to white pine in terms of workability, strength, and stability?  he said its pretty rare these days.  the grain is beautiful i just want to get some more info.  also heard it might stain really badly. 

please share if you have used this wood.
thanks

Texas Ranger

in the eastern US yellow pine is southern yellow pine, not rare, a strong and reliable wood.  It may help if you filled out your profile so we can guess what area you are in, and the nature of the timber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Jsant27,welcome to the forum.
Never had a chance to work with yellow pine,but the white pine I have in my area is not known for it strength. But maybe in beam sized that might change.  :-X
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

We are covered up with yellow pines here in the Deep South.  Loblolly, shortleaf, slash, longleaf, pond, spruce, sand, pitch, virginia, and table mountain are all yellow pines.  Other yellow pines further North are pitch pine, red pine, and jack pine.  In the west, ponderosa and lodgepole are yellow pines.  There are a whole host of them.

Saying a pine is a yellow pine is not much to go on.  Your location will be a clue. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jsant27

sorry i forgot to mention.  this is in western massachusetts.  the yellow pine in question is from the hill country of western mass, montague to be specific.  its not from the south, this is a small local sawyer.

beenthere

Indeed sounds rare. ;)

Inquire more about this rare yellow pine the local sawyer talks about. We'd be interested.

And if you click on your forum name, you will get to where you can update your profile with location and other things of your choice. Helps a lot...

Your native pines appear to be three... per the link here.  Pitch pine might be what you are offered..
http://www.treesforme.com/ma_pinus.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Heartwood

Jon,
Jack Pine, Red Pine and Pitch Pine are all classified as "Northern Pine" by NeLMA in the grading rules and design value tables. Stronger than Eastern White but harder to work with hand tools, in my opinion. Pitch Pine might be too resinous and messy, but beautiful

Thank You Sponsors!