iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

met a guy from Missouri on Friday

Started by farmfromkansas, November 01, 2020, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

He and his family built a steel building for my daughter and SIL. They had the end walls up and sheeted, and all the frame standing on Friday, started putting the roof on Friday evening, Saturday by 10 am they were gone.  Brought all the material with them, and welded the frames together right on site.  The joints looked absolutely perfect.  Impressed.  The building is about 40 x 70, 16' sidewalls with a lean to on the north, and a porch roof on the south side.  Just one garage door opening.  Said he has 72 grandkids, and puts up buildings in about a 300 mile radius from his home.  This one was about 330 miles.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Walnut Beast

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

farmfromkansas

Didn't ask what the cost was for the building, but my daughter said it was cheaper than a pole building.  What was expensive was the concrete and dirtwork.  The building guy just furnished the steel.

firefighter ontheside

Maybe I'll get him to put one up for me.  I really need something like that.  I just happen to be another guy from Missouri.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

farmfromkansas

If you want his name and number, send me a private message.  Nice family, they build a quality building, and get er done.  He has been doing this for years, and does not even hand out business cards. He has relation that does spray foam for a reasonable rate as well.

mike_belben

Any pics? 

So how many days total and how many guys on the crew?  What machinery?
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

farmfromkansas

They brought the material with them on a gooseneck trailer, had the frames and endwalls up by noon the first day, by 5 they were starting on the roof metal, and by 10 the next morning they were gone.  There are no employees, just the guys grandkids, think the oldest was 18.  There was a 12 year old that did a lot of work, I only saw 3 kids working on the building, and the granddad.  There was the grandma walking around watching about a 5 year old girl, who was walking around the site barefoot.  Said he lives northwest of Branson and his property has a lot of oak trees.  He told my SIL that the 7 worst years of his life were his school years. I agree, but did a lot more years, look at my time in grade and high school as " 12 years in prison". As for equipment, saw 2 engine drive Lincoln welders, and a neighbor loaned them a 444 JD highloader, with forks.  Said they have 7 telehandlers scattered around, and this is the only crew that puts up buildings.  They usually bring a telehandler along, but used the loader instead, the owner of the loader had them put up several hay sheds the last few years.

mike_belben

Wow.  And to think its taken all my life to still not have a building put up yet! 

:D
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

INteresting.  I don't think my wife would agree with me at this point that I need that building.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 03, 2020, 08:54:26 AM
INteresting.  I don't think my wife would agree with me at this point that I need that building.
Didn't you know it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission..... if you ask first and it's a no and do it anyways, uffda. so you just do it and then claim, oh, I thought you said that was ok. I'm sorry, my bad..... :D :D :D

mike_belben

INteresting.  I don't think my wife would agree with me at this point that I need that building.
Did she care that you didnt agree on how much her ring should cost? 
;D
Mine said i want a nicer ring.  I said i want a snap-on roll away.  She got her ring and im still waiting for my toolbox. 
 Thats okay, beating her over the head with that hypothetical toolbox is easier than the real thing so thats got to have some value right? :D
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Quote from: mike_belben on November 03, 2020, 12:34:09 PM
Did she care that you didnt agree on how much her ring should cost?
;D
Mine said i want a nicer ring.  I said i want a snap-on roll away.  She got her ring and im still waiting for my toolbox.
Thats okay, beating her over the head with that hypothetical toolbox is easier than the real thing so thats got to have some value right? :D
Them wives' are an enigma. They could be wrong and you're still wrong. You could be 100% correct and still be wrong. You do the job 100% the best it could be and it's wrong. You could do it their way 100% and when it doesn't trun out, you're still wrong. 
Thankgawd my wife isn't like that........... cuz that's comin from a friend..... ;D

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: mike_belben on November 03, 2020, 08:21:32 AM
Wow.  And to think its taken all my life to still not have a building put up yet!

:D
no, but Mike  if your like me, you've got enough stuff collected to FILL that building when you do finally get it!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

firefighter ontheside

I'm a firm believer in asking forgiveness for things like tools that cost $500, but a building that may cost $20,000 Ima ask permission.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Well lets see here.. 6 semi trailer loads, 7 uhaul boxes, give or take a dozen 30ft gooseneck trips.. Uh maybe 5 with a tag trailer.. And im half way moved.  
I need a walmart.   ;D
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: Sedgehammer on November 03, 2020, 03:54:42 PM

Thankgawd my wife isn't like that........... cuz that's comin from a friend..... ;D
Tell yer friend she isnt on the right combo of meds yet.  These things take time.  ;)
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

@mike_belben Now that's funnn eee. I think he's tried that route...... That makes it even funnier

Tacotodd

And I've heard it said like this "They are all crazy, half are on the right meds". I plead the 5th! 😱
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Took 9 years.  My wife is great on the right mix and intolerable off it. 
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Yikes, you weren't being funny. My dad was the same way. Could be a royal pain in the backside and after several different things, he was completely different to be around. I think prosac was the one that worked. Trouble was every once in a while he figured he didn't need them and all heck wood break out till he was convinced life was better to be on them.

I commend you for sticking by her through that time. I know it wasn't easy. My buddy I was talking about, she rides him like Lance Armstong's bicycle in a tour de france.  

mike_belben

Well, medicine isnt a silver bullet unfortunately.. Its also taken 11 years of duking it out for us to learn how to deal with each other.  But its great now.  And i will say this.. Being a mister nice guy doormat never ever works.  Domineering, demanding, alpha type people [like your friends wife and mine] usually wont respect you unless they fear you a little too.  Im not saying violence or abuse but you gotta have a spine.  

If your buddy looked at her and said 'pack your crap and get out' shed probably fall in love with him.  If she doesnt respect him its because she doesnt fear him enforcing his own independant boundaries when she gets out of line.  Shes out of line because he lets her be that way all the time.  

Example:  "hunny get my keys and find my lipstick out of my purse in the car."

:doormat: "yes dear"

:guy who is done getting walked all over:  is your leg broken?  Ive got my own things to do, go get them yourself.  

Yes it will lead to fights that simply must be had in order to restore the balance.  Bottom line has to be "if im not happy im not staying with you, and im not happy with ABCD that you do to me.  Treat me better or sign the papers." 

She will shape up when he holds her to it.  
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

I agree. Even my wife says he needs to grow a spine, cuz he let's her run all over him and it just compounds itself. They have a little girl and until just recently the wife wouldn't allow her to go anywhere with him alone. Plus he has 2 older kids from a previous and she won't let him see them either.

I've talked to him about it and he says he just wants to get along, so I asked him how is it with getting along when he always capitulates......

mike_belben

Right this minute my wife is at a friends house doing damage control after another crisis. they have chronic marital explosions because the woman is a submissive [an annoying one FULL of issues] who needs a strong willed man to keep her inline, but she has a whispering, repressed wet noodle for a husband and they both brought tons of baggage and children to the mix.  Her first husband needed to be heard one night and she denied him.  He shot himself in front of her.  

Wet noodle doesnt stand up to her, she bosses him like a complete dawg and he takes takes takes takes and takes it some more until he cant bottle another drop.  Then when he needs to be heard, she says not now im tired.  He pulled a gun out last night to be heard because she is too stupid to hear his words but everyone hears a gun.  You cant have a relationship work when its always one wins one loses.  Each party must yield throughout the entire relationship and stand their ground as well if their partner is the steamrolling type.  When the balance skews too far for too long something snaps.  

Never block your partner from speaking.  Always try to hear what they are saying and feeling.  Never put words in their mouth.  Always say what you mean and mean what you say, and keep your hands to yourself in a moment of anger.  Say i need to take a lap around the yard to cool down, i will be right back.  And be quick to say i am sorry about blank.. I was wrong or i didnt mean it or i was hurt by this and just wanted to hurt you back.  It is much more productive to say "youre not going to call me blank anymore" than it is to fire back a return insult.  When they fivht breaks out, everyone always has a bigger cannon in reserve and they all end in divorce.  Stop reaching for your next bigger weapon.  In accidental, spontaneous combat with your spouse, RETREAT!  Go find your white flag as soon as you realize that youve been lured into and engaged in combat.  thermal runaway is real in resistors AND relationships. 

And that concludes my lecture on amish shed builders.   ;)
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!