iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with TK B16 Blade Guide set

Started by hookdrvr, June 23, 2013, 05:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookdrvr

I set my mill up, checked everything, made sure it was level, cut some nice boards and a 6x6x22 out of a cedar log on a 16' bed, a little challenging. On my second log, I started noticing that my cuts were a little wavy. My drive belt seemed to have a little more slack to it, I plan on adjusting it.
I did set the guide wheels up as my manual suggests, with the wheel barely touching the blade with the blade tight. I've researched numerous threads on here and noticed some saying that the guide rollers should be anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" below the point at which the guide wheel touches the blade???
Whats the best method to use to continually get straight, true, non-wavy lumber, considering that the log doesnt have a lot of knots, drive belt is properly adjusted, blade is sharp and properly set?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

redbeard

My procedure is to lower the idle side roller at least a 1/8" down on a fully tension blade and use a torpedo level (a good magnetic one) and level the blade by adjusting the drive side roller with Two 3/4" open end wrenches. Make sure you spread the rollers at least 16" apart. Then slide them in and out and check for level. A blade dive or a rise can hamper this adjustment. I also use the level on second cut. Even though my log stops are plumb. When sawing beams n cants
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Larry

Does your band run on steel wheels or "V" belts?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

I run 1/4" down pressure and would not run less as it gives the guide rollers better control over the blade for straighter cuts. Also run the back flange about 1/4" or a bit less behind the blade.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Also time after time on custom sawing jobs I get complaints about bandsaws cutting bad lumber, get those mills cutting straight except for wide spruce.  Anyone figure out how to cut 20" wide spruce straight yet.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

Only time I had good wide board cuts on spruce was when it was frozen which is getting rare in this country. I only like to cut 6"-8" wide boards.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

I cut a bunch of spruce last week, 12" or less was fine, 20" was  %$#$^**. Seems like less hook and more set works the best, just too see I'm going to try a blade a 0 hook in those wide ones.  Steve

bama20a

Quote from: Larry on June 23, 2013, 05:56:43 PM
Does your band run on steel wheels or "V" belts?
The b16 has steel wheels.
I'd call timberking, They will send you a owners guide,They sent me one free has alot of info-on sitting the mill up.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Ga Mtn Man

I would take the advise of those who have years of sawing with similar mills under their belts.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

hookdrvr

Thanks for the replies. My mill does have the steel wheels, no belts, as mentioned by bama20a. I do have the manuals for the mill, but instructions seem a little vague. I'll try the leveling technique and running 1/4 down on the guide wheels. I did set the wheels so that the back edge of the blade is about 1/4" from the back edge of the guide wheel.
Can the guide wheels be rebuilt, rather a new bearing pressed out and replaced with a new one? That is considering that the wheel surface isn't worn out. I noticed my idle side wheel has a little play in it, I may need to swap it out.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Happycamper

hookdrvr,
   By the time you have cut several boards and a 6 X 6 X 22' the blade set will have changed considerably with the knots in the cedar. Try resetting the blade.
                                        Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

hookdrvr

Happy camper,
Does it matter if the cedar is green or seasoned? The log I cut saturday has been down for about two years. I'm planning on dropping some more trees today and milling them later this week if the weather holds. For now, my only option for setting is to send the blades back to Cooks. I guess I need to find someone local who can check the set for me.

BTW, very true quote in your sig. Nice.
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

Ga Mtn Man

Yes, the bearings in the guide rollers can be replaced.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

redbeard

Time to change bearings if you can move guide roller. You will notice a huge difference when  you get your guide rollers all plumbed even across with blade wheels, level vertical and find the blade 1/8"-1/4" deflection that works best.

hookdrvr

Good to know info. I have about 20 large cedars to drop this afternoon. I should be able to pull the guide rollers off and get the old bearings pressed out. Theres a BDI store locally where I can get the bearings from. Hopefully I can get these swapped out before the weekend. I have a barn to build!!
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

pineywoods

Quote from: hookdrvr on June 24, 2013, 09:21:37 AM
For now, my only option for setting is to send the blades back to Cooks. I guess I need to find someone local who can check the set for me.

click here for a simple solution
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50749.msg732898.html#msg732898
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

One thing about cedar.  It is soft and saws really fast/easy.  The trouble that causes waves are all the hard knots.  You have to know when to go slow and when your blade is getting dull...hard to tell in cedar because it saws so easy.

You might call TK and chat with them a bit about your steel wheels.  Especially if your band wanders around.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hookdrvr

Piney,
Thanks for the link. I think I may need to make one of those, knock the dust off my old welder.

Larry, that makes sense about the soft wood and knots. My band wheels are good, bearings are tight, just the guide rollers, or at least the one on the idle side. If I rebuild the one, I'm doing them both so I know what I have.
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

hookdrvr

I replaced the bearings in the guide rollers. I'm guessin at some point the bearing in the idle side roller has seized up and spun in the roller. The new bearing was loose going in and allows some movement. There is also .003ths difference between the front edge and rear of the roller. I was able to get better cuts after getting the blade flat/level/ aligned to the mill bed. But decided to go ahead and purchase new rollers and greasable bolts from Cooks.
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

Happycamper

hookdrvr,
   Dry cedar knots will be much harder than green and the blade will ride up or down especially if going quickly through the log. I find if I go slow through the knots it doesn't do that.
pineywoods posted a home made setter which works very well and I made one and use it. pineywoods dual tooth setter.
  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50749.msg732898.html#msg732898
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

redbeard

The bearings should fit tight. If the bearings were  failing you probably have some flat spots on the rollers they can be machined down smooth a few times but the hardness goes away. Paint some lines on the back of rollers it helps to make sure there spinning.

Thank You Sponsors!