iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new client and Quarry update

Started by teakwood, February 27, 2023, 07:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

I just see lots of flat ground for buildings ffcheesy .  

Congrats Ramon, having them come back so quickly will really change your economic situation and for that I am very very happy for you.  You'll have to strip some more overburden I guess and mill the new harvest area.  Did you sell the topsoil last time?

I kid you not that you'll need more space though because you've made an amateur mistake in making your new building just the right size for today.  There's always tomorrow!  
Liking Walnut

doc henderson

unless the Teak buy is a onetime deal.  Ramon the lumber broker.  you have to sell it without it landing in your yard!   ffsmiley :thumbsup:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

That all looks so good. Thanks for sharing. 

teakwood

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2024, 07:24:30 AMI am assuming that they are taking manageable layers so after it is taken down to the level where the crusher is, will they begin another layer deeper.  I suppose that I am wondering how deep your recoverable stone goes.  Maybe to China?  :thumbsup:
Yes, i have a extracting plan which was accepted from the mining ministry, so more or less i need to follow some rules and guide lines. One thing they are complaining is the first wall (the bottom hole, where the crusher is), is way too high and vertical so i need to cut another terrace. We will do all that but last year was very hectic and they needed to full fill orders. this year i will make more use of the D9 dozer (as it is payed from this firm and doesn't cost me a dime) and organize the quarry a little better. make more room, strip more overburden and make more terraces.

I did a extend of my original permit and could expand my estimated extraction volume from 1.2million m3 to about 1.6million m3. this extension costed me about 6k $ because we needed to do more studies. so now i got an extra 20m from the quarry floor down, where the good material is. we needed to prove that there is no water there because it's forbidden in CR to cut into the water lines. Also no deep hole quarries are allowed, or under ground mining. only open pit from the quarry floor up, down is not permitted.

the extension was expensive but i did it for 2 reasons: my annual extraction quota got bigger and i have a extra selling point if i ever sell the quarry.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Magicman

Thank you for the explanation.  Yours is something that I will never be associated with but your venture and business is a very interesting read.  I admire your successes and look forward to your future.  :thumbsup:

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on March 27, 2024, 08:55:19 AMI just see lots of flat ground for buildings ffcheesy

Congrats Ramon, having them come back so quickly will really change your economic situation and for that I am very very happy for you.  You'll have to strip some more overburden I guess and mill the new harvest area.  Did you sell the topsoil last time?

I kid you not that you'll need more space though because you've made an amateur mistake in making your new building just the right size for today.  There's always tomorrow! 
Thanks Wyatt, yes, strip more overburden and mill some more trees from the clear cut. i sold very little overburden last year, the overburden is a real problem. the took some samples last week and are hopping to use 5000m3 of overburden mixed with rocks for some applications which require less quality. they will pay me less but it's kinda two birds with one stone situation, it will serve me well. hopping the lab will accept it.

you really underestimate me! i didn't made a amateur mistake, the new building is exactly right for this lumber buy (which was a one time deal). next year i extend the building and will double the space which i currently no need for.

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on March 27, 2024, 10:29:39 AMunless the Teak buy is a onetime deal.  Ramon the lumber broker.  you have to sell it without it landing in your yard!  ffsmiley :thumbsup:
It was a one time deal. I think of me as a not so dumb guy, so i rather unload the lumber at my place, select into different qualities, plan or mould the lumber and resell it at a 200-300% profit, lol

There was a older gentlemen driving into the sawmill with a expensive car about a month ago, with a chauffer/ assistant. "I'm a wholesale wood buyer, how much for the whole lumber storage!?" I thought it for 5 seconds and didn't even give him a price. told him: i don't sale wholesale. I knew exactly what he wanted and he knew exactly that he would not achieve anything with this guy so he left. 

teakwood

Marked the next clearcut in the quarry, let me tell you, there is some height up here compared to the quarry floor. about 60m. lots of m3 left
IMG_20240329_062935.jpg
finished up the gate with my little brother who is visiting from Switzerland. He is using vacation work clothes  ffcheesy at 36 degrees, dang is it hot this year
I'm very pleased and proud of how the entrance turned out
IMG_20240329_080458.jpg

5.20am, the best hours of the day
IMG_20240330_052331.jpg

Ljohnsaw

nice!
Your morning picture, at first glance, looks like the view from Sacramento of the snow covered Sierras! :snowball: ffcheesy
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

The production manager has a drone and sent me some pics of the quarry and plantations, for me they are just astonishing. All this i did in the last 20 years of hard work

teakwood

teakwood

The green line is my neighbor, all the dry trees is my teak. we are at the peak of dryseason now 
IMG-20240402-WA0046.jpgIMG-20240402-WA0048.jpgIMG-20240402-WA0049.jpgIMG-20240402-WA0052.jpgIMG-20240402-WA0053.jpg

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Andries

The birds-eye view is amazing and it really does show how much you've accomplished in twenty years. Well done!
Your little brother who is visiting from Switzerland may be wishing for ground water to fill the quarry so that he can swim and cool off. 36°C must feel very hot for him.
Do you use a hook behind the D9 to cut new terraces, or is that most excavator work?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

Great views of your teak plantation and quarry. Thank you for them. 
Do they do any blasting to loosen the quarry rock, or mostly excavator work? 
Local quarries will blast for the limestone (or at least used to do that). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

Nice pics! :thumbsup:

When the crusher starts up should yell: "Let's get ready to crumble!" ffcheesy  rayrock rayrock rayrock
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

DWyatt

The drone pictures really showcase everything you've accomplished. When you've talked about not only the size of the quarry, but also the size of the teak plantation, it's been hard to visualize how large of an area you cover
 The pictures really help see things and understand you're working with.

teakwood

Thanks guys. i have 50ha of land and 36 is planted with teak.

I do have a small pool to cool of so my brother is fine, i'm not really working right now, finishing up some minor stuff. so i'm  enjoying the time with my brother and we go out, have food and drink alot of beer  ffcheesy .  Friday we head off to Colombia for 9 days, if you don't enjoy life and you loved ones for what would all the hard work be for? 

We don't blast yet, still using ripper on the machines for material loosing. the D9 has a single shank ripper and this machine is a beast. for the lower layers in the future blasting will be necessary 

Sod saw

teakwood,  I do not understand.  Can you explain why there is a line between some brown tree and some green trees?

How does the dry weather affect your Teak?  Do all teak loose leaves in the hot or dry times of the year?  Or are those trees dead from some reason?

Nice operation there.  I enjoy reading and learning about how folks do different things in different areas of the world.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Southside

What was covering the ground of your plantation before you put in the Teak? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

teakwood

The line between the trees is a fence line to my neighbour's property. The trees drop all the leaves in dryseason and are at a stand still, harden the wood and make a darker ring, much like your winters. And one month into rain season everything is green green again.

The land before I planted was a mix of pasture, bush and second growth forest

teakwood

Back from Colombia and quarry is full tilt right now. As the D9 is getting a new undercarriage they brought in another toy, dang is that a nice machine, 50to Volvo
IMG_20240416_065541.jpg
Opening new ground
IMG_20240416_133353.jpg
Now thats a bucket!
IMG_20240417_065656_edit_138491956266367.jpg
They bought 3 new chinesium Trucks, 7 more are on the way. 20m3 dipper
IMG_20240416_113855.jpg
I dropped 32 trees so we can do more overburden removing

IMG-20240416-WA0105.jpg

Andries

It must get noisy at your house with that size of machine tearing up the rocks.
But, that might be the sound of money coming in, right?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!