iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dehumidification for slabs

Started by Engineer, November 11, 2016, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I had a friend call me last night, asking if I knew of a place that could plane and dry some rough-sawn pine slabs for countertops.  The slabs are 14' long, 26" wide and 3-1/2" thick.  The log they were cut from, had been sitting for a couple of years, and was recently milled.  The planing is no problem, there are places around here with wide-belt sanders and some big planers.  I didn't suggest he could set up a router sled and plane them himself, I don't think he wants to go down that road.  The drying however, its a different story.  I suggested that he set up a tent with 6-mil plastic, like a mini-greenhouse, in his garage.  Put the slabs in it, put a small computer fan or desk fan for air circulation at one end, and a small dehumidifier at the other.  It won't heat up the wood but it will dry it out.

Was this bad advice?  I know if I wanted to dry wood quickly, this would be one of two methods I would use.  The other would be a solar kiln, but it's November and he doesn't want to wait that long for good solar weather, or build an actual kiln.  There is one place nearby that will kiln-dry the slabs in a conventional kiln, for $250, and plane them for $120.  Total for all three. 

Den Socling

I really have to wonder why somebody would want to fool with pine.

Bruno of NH

Pine slabs are the in thing right now
Customers love them around my area
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Den Socling

But a pine slab may be pretty today but what would a pine counter top look like in 10 years? You might need to pack your bags someday!  ;)

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Den Socling on November 12, 2016, 09:01:11 PM
But a pine slab may be pretty today but what would a pine counter top look like in 10 years? You might need to pack your bags someday!  ;)

yes, I agree...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

xlogger

So when you was a young man did you over look a pretty girl wondering what she might look like in years to come :D. I got a 30" pine in this week to slab up myself. If it sells that's great if not well not the first time things didn't work out.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Bruno of NH

In the NewEngland area a lot of pine in very old houses floors, beams , siding , trim and case work good looking stuff.
To each his own I guess
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Den Socling

I guess old growth with more rings would be more durable. When I think of pine, I think of the soft stuff I see around here.

rjwoelk

Quote from: xlogger on November 13, 2016, 07:44:27 AM
So when you was a young man did you over look a pretty girl wondering what she might look like in years to come :D. I got a 30" pine in this week to slab up myself. If it sells that's great if not well not the first time things didn't work out.
:D but then there are some that just get better looking with age.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Don P

That's a magnolia   ;D
I have eaten in plenty of restaurants that have pine tables. It acquires a well worn look that is fine. My wife can distress oak and maple, density is relative, cast iron wins. In our first little duplex I tore the kitchen out and put in tile countertops. Our next door neighbor knew she could give us a half dozen wine glasses every year because we lost them to that hard tile at about that rate. I've not been a real fan of tile or stone since.

It should work, he may need to add some heat as it finishes.

kelLOGg

Before I built my kiln, I "made" one with a tarp and a humidifier and air-dried hickory under it; I provided no ventilation. It turned out so well that I floored my office with the hickory about 8 years ago. Go for it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Den Socling

The dehumidifier served the purpose of air movement. It lowered humidly around the coils and wetter air moved in to equalize water molecules with the drier air.

Ianab

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 24, 2016, 07:40:56 AM
Before I built my kiln, I "made" one with a tarp and a humidifier and air-dried hickory under it; I provided no ventilation. It turned out so well that I floored my office with the hickory about 8 years ago. Go for it.
Bob

That works on a small scale, especially if the wood is already air dried, and you just want to get rid of that last ~5% of moisture.

You have a source of heat (the DH unit gets warm), air flow from it's fan, and you don't need ventilation because the moisture is removed via the drain or bucket of the D/H.  So all the elements that you need to dry wood are present.

If your wood is air dried already, it's hard to mess it up with further drying, and the conditions inside your tent are really just like a warm dry room in a house anyway.

It doesn't have some of the extra bonuses of a real kiln, like killing bugs and setting pitch. But you can dry wood this way just fine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GAB

Quote from: rjwoelk on November 13, 2016, 11:14:45 AM
Quote from: xlogger on November 13, 2016, 07:44:27 AM
:D but then there are some that just get better looking with age.

Question: When was the last time you had your vision checked?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!