iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw rope is getting hard

Started by alsayyed, August 21, 2020, 04:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I own stihl chainsaw MS650, it was working good and did not use for almost a year, I have taken the chainsaw and cleaned very well and fixed a new small items like spark plug . I am having little problem when I try to pull the rope the rope is hard  I know the piston is good, spark plug  a new carburetor is new fresh gas and oil mix. When I remove the plug out of the machine it become easy, so could  anybody run into situation like that why the rope acts like that
Thank you

Ianab

Is the decompress button working? If it's easy to pull over the with no plug it's not seized, but high compression is making it hard to turn over. The decompress valve can get carbonaed up and stuck.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

joe_indi

Whether it is 3 pulls or 10 pulls remember it is only the last pull that starts the saw. 
So  eliminating all the pulls before that last pull will save you a lot of wear on the starter and for you a lot of energy and frustration.
Especially for a saw that has not run for some time. 
All you need to do is prime the saw. Not just the cylinder top but the complete system. Tank, fuel tube, carburettor, manifold , crankcase crankshaft bearings,t oiltoil seals,p piston, rings and their grooves, cylinder walls, piston top, muffler.
 For this you need to filltfill fresh fuel, out the plug and air filter. Keep switch in Off, use a finger to hold choke closed while the same hand hold the throttle wide open. And pull starter a few times until you smell fuel in the air coming out from the spark plug hole. Now remove finger from choke and with throttle still wide open pull a few more times. Fit the spark plug, move switch to choke, then one step higher ( start ) and try one smart pull. Whether the decompression valve is opened or close the saw will start if you do all these steps properly and run for at least 2 seconds if there is any issue with fuel filter or carburettor. Otherwise it will run normally

Spike60

Priming is OK Joe, and I do it sometimes on saws that have sat empty for a long time. Eliminates all those extra pulls for the dry diaphragm to fill up the empty fuel line. Gotta be careful that you don't over do it and flood the saw.

Another possibility: You, I and alsayyed are all about the same age. And the complaint about too hard to pull, yet easy with the plug removed is often due to the user not being able to snap the rope as good as he used to. The bigger the saw, the more likely this could happen. See it a fair amount with guys our age. Particularly if the user's "starter arm" was inactive as long as the saw was. One of those "use it or lose it" things.

Not easy to explain that to customers without offending them. Some I've known for 20+ years. I always include myself and say "we" are getting old. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Trot on down to the friendly local Stihl dealer and spend about $10 or less on an MS 460 rescue saw D-Handle .That will tame it down .FWIW I have D-handles on several saws from 72 CC to over 100 cc ,saves the poor old arm .

scsmith42

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 22, 2020, 01:07:43 PM
Trot on down to the friendly local Stihl dealer and spend about $10 or less on an MS 460 rescue saw D-Handle .That will tame it down .FWIW I have D-handles on several saws from 72 CC to over 100 cc ,saves the poor old arm .
Al, I'm not sure that there are many "local Stihl Dealers" in Quatar.....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Al_Smith

Hmm didn't think about that .--E-bay then---

joe_indi

kelLOGg

I assume the rope is hard to pull. That reminds me of my recent posts about a hard-to-pull starter rope on my saw. See https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=92482.0 starting with reply 17. It may or may not be of help.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

welderskelter

You are a year older remember. Next time dont wait so long between startings and you wont notice how you are going down hill. Ha. Happens to me all the time. I have a hard time even carrying my 066 let alone using it.

Thank You Sponsors!