iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna - starts but won’t run

Started by claycoach, September 07, 2020, 05:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claycoach

Hi. Old man newbie from sunny Scotland. My much loved Husky 136 went in for a service - no I don't know how to do it! - but when at the workshop the mechanic informed me that the piston was scored. Indeed it was when he showed me. I don't know how as I always used the correct mix. Anyway, fitted a new (aftermarket) barrel and piston. Now it starts Ok but won't keep running. I've fiddled with the jets, having bought the correct tool, but I'm not getting anywhere. The businesses over here won't look at it as it has not got all Husky parts. Somebody must know. Help! 
Thanks. Anybody else from Scotland here?

ladylake

There's  a reason it scored , running lean from a clogged carb, bad fuel line, air leak, tank vent, fuel filter etc. You need to find out why or it will score again.  Also lean how to tune a saws then you will know when it starts to run lean and get it fixed before it scores the piston.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

claycoach

Thanks Steve. I did write a longer reply but it disappeared.

Real1shepherd

Absolutely agree with Steve...either from leaking crank seals, a leak in the carb boot or impulse line...whatever, get that sorted or you will roach your new P&C again. Most homeowners don't recognize the sound when a saw runs lean....which is unfortunate.

Find someone that knows how to do a vacuum and pressure test on the saw.

Kevin

claycoach

The thing about these replies is that they assume knowledge and the potential to learn. Now, I have no knowledge but I do have the potential to learn, the question is from whom? I imagine a lot of people on here have just been around saws forever and it's old hat to them. Me, not so. Of course I have YouTubed exhaustively and, this morning, I am trying to source books on the subject of saws, or even two stroke engines. 
I appreciate the replies, but I've a long way to go - where to, I don't know.

Al_Smith

As far as 2 cycle theory one of the best would be Macdizzy on the net .However regarding how to enhance same in my opinion British motorcycle  sites will yield more information than most chainsaw sites .It seems the nitty gitty info is treated like it's top secret which quite frankly it's not .There are no secrets because at some time it's all been done before .
Now don't get me wrong because on most chainsaw sites there is valuable info you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.You have to sort it out because people including myself have opinions .Which doesn't mean mine is the best or the worst .Keeping in mind there are several ways to skin the same cat and they all work . 
Lecture over but keep in mind it basically takes three things for any internal combustion engine to work .Fuel, ignition and compression .Troubles with same will be traced to at least one of them .

Real1shepherd

Quote from: claycoach on September 10, 2020, 05:49:21 AM
The thing about these replies is that they assume knowledge and the potential to learn. Now, I have no knowledge but I do have the potential to learn, the question is from whom? I imagine a lot of people on here have just been around saws forever and it’s old hat to them. Me, not so. Of course I have YouTubed exhaustively and, this morning, I am trying to source books on the subject of saws, or even two stroke engines.
I appreciate the replies, but I’ve a long way to go - where to, I don’t know.
Ask the right people that won't ridicule and belittle you....they're happy to help.

YouTube vids are invaluable for the newbie.....just be careful you're getting the correct advice there. Some of those guys are posting vids while they're leaning. Often they come back and have to reedit for the mistakes they made. People in the biz are more likely to give correct advice. There is a guy up in Canada on YouTube who is very soft spoken and gets right to the point on saw service. He runs a small engine repair. I think his vids would be a great primer for you.

It's your job to collect the data and opinions and see what is relevant for your particular situation. We can't help you there. You have to be the one to choose between good advice and sheep dip.

It also depends on how many saws you have, ergo....should you buy/make special tools or take it to a shop etc? Buying a nice vac/pressure tool to test your saw and carb may not be wise if you have just one saw. But...if you like to accumulate good tools, then go for it. Maybe as you learn, you'll start fixing other's saws.....I've seen it happen.;D

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!