iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help oil in the radiator

Started by nyyounggun16, March 02, 2015, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyyounggun16

My 540b started losing power at low throttle and blowing lots of black smoke. I found oil in the radiator no noticeable head gasket leak or anything any help would be appreciated.

bushmechanic

The oil in rad problem could be a leaking oil cooler. I'm not familiar with the years of the Deere skidders but some of the newer engines have liquid cooled turbos and you may have a turbo failure also which would also give you those same issues that you have.

xalexjx

id pull your oil filler cap and your dip stick and check for milky residue (antifreeze) in the engine oil.
Logging and Processed Firewood

E fan

water in the oil/crankcase you've got a head gasket busted If it has water in the oil it'll be milky like chocolate milk sorta ( thats only good in an alky burning dirt car  ;D)

treeslayer2003

on the deere, coolant in the base normally means liner trouble and the base will get over full quickly. my money is on the oil cooler in this case, or possibly head gasket.
on the black smoke, that does lend to a turbo problem. overheat can make it do that as well.

nyyounggun16

Thanks guys I'm thinking oil cooler also. I don't notice any water in the oil and I'm losing oil not staying the same like the antifreeze is replacing it
Thanks again for the help

scsmith42

If you are not losing oil in the crankcase then check your transmission.  Some John Deere's also have a transmission cooler in the radiator, and it could be the source of the oil.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!