iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Piltz HOT ROD KIT Conversion Kit

Started by TheTexasRAT, February 23, 2020, 01:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTexasRAT

Does anybody know how Piltz kits supposedly can make a chainsaw into a Hot Rod chainsaw? They claim that with their setup that one can run a longer bar than the OEM setup on a stock saw and every thing runs and works great. They say that this is only for saw competitions, and not for home use. Yet if it works cutting wood in competitions one would think it could cut wood at home as well. Also, they say that the longer bar in their kit should only be used to cup limbs off a felled tree to keep from bending over, yet not for felling the tree. They as well lay claim it can cut hard wood, even though they only show videos of cutting soft wood.

I see only one thing that could make the chain move faster, and that being a smaller number of teeth/grooves on the sprocket. Other than that I wonder about the effects of such on the saw motor in the long run.

1) what is it about the kit that can make the saw run a longer bar without bogging the motor down?

or, what effect will this have on the saws ability to hold its torque/power band?

2) with the longer bar wouldn't it cause the bar and chain to not get lubed as well whereby premature bar and chain wear?

3) Being they use a rim drive sprocket instead of a paddle wheel sprocket couldn't this cause sawdust to get jammed into the sprocket holes and bind the chain from turning? Anybody have experience with rim drives?

4) some of their kits have a Stihl bar and chain and just an Oregon sprocket, so why would one need to buy a bar and chain with the kit? Why not just buy the sprocket itself directly from Oregon instead of from Piltz? I know Piltz wants to make money selling kits, as just trying to sell an idea (that we can do ourselves) without the parts wouldn't sell much. What I mean is they got to try and make it seem like they are selling more than just an idea (mistery included, as they do not explain how or why their kits can fulfill the claims they make).

Anyone out there ever tried doing this? Does it really help make the saw an all around beefier saw, or is it just a shyster's gimmick? Can one really change the amount of teeth on the sprocket and help the saw be better than the OEM setup?

sawguy21

From your description it sounds like a marketing gimmick. Rim sprockets are very popular on pro saws, as you suggest the chain speed can be increased for faster cutting or decreased for more torque but by itself does not make a hot rod or race saw. Rims are not prone to plugging with sawdust, if there is a problem here the chain needs to be sharpened.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TheTexasRAT

OK, after 6 hrs of research I finely figured out that a 3/8 pitch chain with 7 tooth sprocket is best for my MS290 for what I do with it. Go figure, funny that is just what the saw came with from the store.

And although a .325 pitch chain with a 7 tooth sprocket would cut a little faster, being it is thinner, while still holding the torque I never liked those thin blades as they wobble too much for my liking.

So, it looks as if I need not worry about this saw and just keep the setup it has. At least not until I would bore, port, and muff-mode it out. Of which time I could either keep the same pitch and tooth set-up and run a longer bar. Or keep the same bar length, chain pitch and go to an 8 tooth sprocket. Or even simply keep the exact same set-up and simply enjoy the extra HP alone. Or I could get a bigger saw, like the MS880 Magnum, and quite worrying about the need for extra power all together.

celliott

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on February 23, 2020, 01:14:59 AM
Does anybody know how Piltz kits supposedly can make a chainsaw into a Hot Rod chainsaw?

A shyster's gimmick.
You figured it out by the end of your post. Marketing BS, plain and simple. 
Using narrow kerf, skip chain will allow a small saw to use a bigger bar but they can't oil it, and won't last for long, certainly not cut very fast.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sawguy21

There is really no point trying to hot rod an MS290, all you will get is more noise. The cylinder cannot be bored due to the nikasil coating and the open port design precludes any gains there. Upgrade to a ported MS462 with a 461 coil, it will howl. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

Exactly what Celliott said. You would probably have a hot rod about 10 seconds before the crankshaft bearings seize.  :)
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Thank You Sponsors!