iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The $1700 band saw

Started by hunterbuild, January 21, 2012, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Well Ozark it just depends on how one looks on things and ones sense of humor how things are taken as far as text .

Obviously your sense of humor and mine are  not on the same page .

A mini mill is one option.There are others but that deserves another thread so saying that please do continue your discussion .I'll sit quietly on the side lines  :-X

bedway

So, my question is, is this mill made in china?

Ozarkian

Quote from: bedway on January 25, 2012, 12:52:41 PM
is this mill made in china?

Good question...  I for one do not know!  I would think some of the part's are made in China (i.e. the motor).  However, I could not locate anywhere listed in the Downloadable PDF Manual or on the product website stating where the Sawmill is manufactured.

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Cutting Edge

Hey all...I reckon I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.  Before this thread got started I had the same thoughts about the similiar construction of these mills.  I started look DEEP in the web and actually llocated and chatted with "customer service" at a chinese manufacturer.  I was told, "We cannot sell this mill to an individual because 2 companies in North America are the authorized distributors"   And I was then directed to make contact through the websites of each.   Guess who:  Harbor Freight and Woodland Mills.  Yes subtle differences...enough to allow a sellable item by a different company/country. 

A few years back northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company had issues trying to sell theirs here because Harbor Freight was already carrying them.  Northern had theirs painted red.  They were in the catalog and I was hell bent to buy one (price)...Waited 4 months "On Backorder" then they called and said it was no longer available.  Owners manual were almost a picture image.  I ended up buying a much larger mill instead....but always wanted to tryone to see. 

If you look at the parts list in each manual....look at the pics and numbers...a match.  At least the parts are on this continent.

If it was me I would go with Woodland Mills  (IMO).....customer service/support, speak english, parts, and they are a SPONSER!  I already showed their site to a couple people wanting to mill their own stuff.  Best of luck with your new mill!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

hunterbuild

A friend had use of a large diesel powered all hydraulic Woodmizer. I had 50 ton of maple logs some of which were 4' or bigger around.We had great fun and put up several thousand board ft of mostly 1" stuff 12 to 16' long. He took some for helping me and the rest is stacked in my garage.So I have drove the Caddie. It was with out any comparison to my HF. That being said it took two of us to keep up with it. I will be working alone cutting mostly pine. If I get a few big logs I can break them down with my Alaskan csm.If by any miracle I get into another find like the maple I will find a big mill to cut it for me. I don't know if the HF will make me any money but I'm having fun. I have two people to do some small cutting for.I"m starting a job next month redoing a store inside and out.My client found out I had a saw and want a rustic look. He Loves the ruff sawed pine and beams. Maybe I can pay for my saw in one job!

paul case

A saw sure can pay for itself in one job. Mine did and it cost about$7k.
The framing lumber for my house would have cost more than that and at the time my logs weren't worth cutting to haul to a pallet mill. I not only framed my house but I cut all my own paneling too. It has a unique rustic look and didn't cost me anything but the labor. The house was finished in 6 months and the mill has made me an income when farming is slow for 3 1/2 years now.
Call me real pleased.  :) PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ozarkian

Paul,
Do you have pictures showing your house you built?  Would be interested in seeing, as that is my long term goal after finishing my barn and getting my woodworking shop set up. 

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

paul case

The first pic is the exterior. The second is some rustic red oak paneling. I cut 3/8''x8'' and put on like lap siding with sheetrock screws into the studs. The 3rd pic is some erc live edge paneling put up with sheetrock screws and cut 3/8'' thick. Part of the house was moved in was built by my grandpa in the early 50's and it measured 44'x26'. We added 58' x26'. IT hasd 4 bedrooms and 3 full baths. Total cost from moving the house and mill was less than$45k. It appraised for $119k. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ozarkian

Paul:  Wow!  Very impressive work, thank you for sharing.  Can't beat the price - great investment!
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

bedway

Very nice Paul, and that i built it myself feeling, you cant put a price tag on :)

Thank You Sponsors!