iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What NOT to do with your tractor

Started by Warbird, January 31, 2014, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It's easy to laugh at someone else's misery.  I loved to see the dust flying on impact.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

But many people create their own misery.  Here in WV tractor roll-overs are common.  My nephew and his son just scare me to death and Greg has rolled his backhoe and was lucky to not be badly hurt.  But they still mow land that I won't even drive my gator on.   But farmers have to make hay so they do. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Peter Drouin

It's all in if you know how to operate a tractor. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

danabg

I can't believe anyone would hook a sling like that.A recipe for disaster,next time they'll be more careful,I am sure!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 02, 2014, 11:08:01 AM
It's all in if you know how to operate a tractor. :D

What chu talkn bout Willies ?  move_it
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Warbird

At least it wasn't a green tractor.   fiddle-smiley tank-smiley

DaleK

I've ridden a couple of tractors on those downhill glides.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

kevin19343

If that strap was securely fastened the little Cat would have dragged the big Cat with it down the hill.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Do you even bother to ask for your final paychecks after an showing like that....or do you just eat the loss of the wages and gracefully slither away hoping that nobody recognizes you in the video so you have some chance at getting another position in the excavation field ?

Like to say I never did anything close to as stupid as that, but there was the time about 15 years ago that I climbed out of the plow truck, thought I put it in park, but must have had it in neutral, and watched it slide back 20 feet into a snow bank. Nothing damage other than my pride that day. ;D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Warbird

My son is 2.  In this video, he shows us proper tractor operation.  Well, until that last bit.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3i8eUwQYu8

sawguy21

Were they in such a hurry they couldn't set a deadman?  ::) A garbage truck driver recently had a brain cramp and didn't set the parking brake. The truck rolled between the houses, took out a deck, and used a tree to stop. After a mechanical inspection revealed no problems he got slapped with a hefty fine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Warbird that's classic!  I just wish someday your son could watch me learning to drive dad's old A, at the same time I'm glad we didn't have video back then  :D.

Roxie

Loved the 'learning to drive' video!   :D
Say when

Warbird

Thanks.  He's so proud to be learning to drive it.  For him, it's still a bit of a handful.  Once he learns to put it in reverse, he will have the hang of it.  He already can't wait to help us haul firewood this summer.  Right now, due to winter, we're stuck in the garage.

Magicman

The garage is plenty large enough to make us smile.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

It seems to me that many guys watching could have caught the camera man to destroy the evidence. It did however make me chuckle.
Warbird, hope your son learns not to run into things before he gets into a big tractor. My oldest son was 12 and was disking a field for me, (yes dad I can handle it!), running a MF65 tractor. As he turned one time he caught one front wheel on a hedgerow tree (about 16" at wheel height). It wasn't pretty. The front yoke broke and laid the nose on the ground. I had to lift the front with a backhoe and tow it down the road about a mile, put it in the shop and look for a new front yoke. I did get lucky. It turned out the the local Massey dealer had some take offs from putting loaders on other MF65's. When they add a FEL the stock yoke is swapped for a HD yoke. I got a takeoff for $90. I had the tractor up and working the next day. My son didn't drive.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

QuoteI had the tractor up and working the next day. My son didn't drive.

If my son, he'd have been driving the next day...  just sayin.

Not driving would be too much like punishment, and we all make some blunders with equipment one time or another. ;)

I recall driving when I was 12, and the trick turning at the end of the field was to keep the drag or the disk from catching the rear tire and trying to come up into your lap at the turn.   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Quote from: beenthere on February 05, 2014, 07:58:24 PM
QuoteI had the tractor up and working the next day. My son didn't drive.

If my son, he'd have been driving the next day...  just sayin.

Not driving would be too much like punishment, and we all make some blunders with equipment one time or another. ;)

I recall driving when I was 12, and the trick turning at the end of the field was to keep the drag or the disk from catching the rear tire and trying to come up into your lap at the turn.   

Yes they will  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Warbird

Sadly, I'm just some IT guy with a broken body that isn't fit for farming, logging, or any of that kind of stuff.  So I won't be able to teach my son some of the things you just mentioned.  Also, his toy tractor is currently the only tractor this family owns.  LOL

That said, if'n it were me, my 12 year old woulda been back in the saddle the next day, too.  With maybe a few pointers, as needed.

*edit*  Also, my son is currently only 2.  So he's got some time to learn to avoid running into things.  ;)

thecfarm

Driving a tractor is a honor at that age. Take it away from him, and he'll be more careful next time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!