iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.forest management plan

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, November 02, 2019, 08:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I recently purchased a mostly wooded  28 acre tract of land in the NC mountains. It looks like it was thinned in the early 90s. It is a property I will try to manage myself, but will need to have some help up front to develop a plan. My equipment is small so it may be best to hire a logger to get started. It may not be enough  land to interest a logger. My question is, who should I be looking to for this advice?Is this something the N.C. Forestry department helps with or do I look for a private consultant?. Can anyone shed a little light on cost associated with this and questions I should have or have answers to. I am fine to pay someone, I just want to have an idea before I get started so I am prepared. Thank you in advance for any insight, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Okefenokee_D

Contact your local county Forester that works with the state NC Forestry Service. It is free usually. They can write you up a "stewardship" management plan as well give youn advice and locate you a list of loggers.

Woodland plan
North Carolina Forest Service

Contacts
North Carolina Forest Service

curdog

You can use NCFS or a private consulting forester for a plan. A consultant's fee will vary based on the forester.  NCFS has a flat rate of $5.00 /acre for a written plan. There is a tax deferment available on forested land that is managed for timber production on your county taxes.  The requirements are a minimum of 20 acres, a written forest management plan and if it isn't your primary residence, you will need to own it for 4 years prior to be eligible.
But you are definitely starting on the right direction with getting a plan developed and having the timber examined.
You will need to think of what your objectives are, and what you want to see long term for the property. You can walk the property with the county ranger/service forester or consulting forester when they do the timber exam and ask questions, and they should be able to point out some things about the property.
I work in the western part of the state, so if I can be any help, shoot me a message. 

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thank you both for the advice. I will contact the NCFD and see if I can get the ball rolling. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!