iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Management Plan

Started by hawby, January 09, 2003, 03:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

I am in need of some guidance. Probably it is buried somewhere in the myriad of information here, but I am just going to ask:

We have approx. 85 acres of forest spread out in 4 different woodlots on our 400 acre farm. I would like to know how I would go about getting a forestry expert to stroll through it with me to give me advice on how best to NOT muck them up. A couple of the lots actually were logged out several years ago (when I was a kid) and they are just now recovering from that damage.

I have started removing those trees which have definite damage, those that are not too pretty, and some that are definitely mature. Still, I would like to establish a management plan (especially if it has tax saving potential) and I want to get the lots as healthy as I can for the next generation.

Any of you guys with expertise, especially in SW Michigan, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Ron Wenrich

If you want someone to just take a stroll throught the woods with you, then your state forester would be helpful.  

If you want data to put into a management plan, then you might have to hire a consultant to do the work.  He can take samples, develop a plan, and mark trees that should be removed.  You may even be able to tag along and get some insight.

You could also sign up as a Tree Farmer.  I believe you'll get someone to come out and give you some guidance, free of charge.  They won't mark any trees.

You might want to check to see if there is any landowner groups in the area.  They can be helpful in finding a good forester and they would know of any tax reduction.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

To start with, you have an excellent Conservation District Forester there serving Barry County to provide you with assistance.

1611 S. Hanover, Suite 105
             Hastings, MI 49058
             (616) 948-8056

There are also several professional Consulting Foresters in your area. One there in Hastings is Jim Mackinder. Jim has a farm there and is a retired USDA-Forest Service Timber Staff Officer.

Feel free to tell them that I referred you.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!