iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to this .

Started by Rkellogg, August 18, 2010, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rkellogg

Just like to first introdues my self . I am not a logger or forester . I am just a mechanic in Western new York . I have been looking into buying a small piece of property so I have my own place to hunt , maybe 50 or so acers , but would have to have some kind of timber sale to help pay for it , if that is even possible . I have know idea what timber is worth . I know it depenneds on the tree , but someone told me the timber market is in the crapper right now .

I guess what my first of many questions is . What is the timber market like comparded to say 15 years ago . Is now a good time to buy land and try to have a timber sale .

Thank you in advance for the help .

Magicman

I can't help you with your questions, but Welcome to The Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

LOg sales are somewhat regional, so I would contact a local logger and see what is selling, but most stuff isn't getting much money these days, but at the same time land is probably about as cheap as it is going to get and interest rates (if you need to borrow)  aren't going to get any lower.  If you wait for the timber market to recover then land will be more expensive so I would say if you can get a piece you like now, get it.  IN a few years when the market recovers, you can sell some timber, but don't expect to recover your purchase price,  The time lag will also allow you to develop a plan so you will know what and how you want to harvest.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Mark K

Welcome to the forum. Things aren't horrible right now, at least wood is moving. 2 years ago i couldn't afford to move a stick of hardwood because of prices. Right now hard maple and oak are doing fairly well, pricing around the same as 3-4 years ago. Soft maple and cherry are fluctuating alot. Veneer is just starting to recover. I don't ship softwood because I saw it myself. I've been shipping 10-13 thousand board feet a week of hardwood all summer and things have been pretty steady. I hope things get better but at least we are doing alright now. Good luck.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Rkellogg

Thanks guys . So if I can get a piece of property , you think I should sit on it for a wile until the market comes up , or just get what I can now .

I found a 65 acres with Hemlock , cherry , maple and pine on it . The owner told me he had it looked at by a forester 15 years ago . he said it had $20k worth of timer on it than , but didn't cut it . But I heard the market has been cut in haft sence then . Does that sound right .

Mark K

I would have a forester look at it and make a decision. Some tree's might be going past there prime and could stand a little thinning. The forester could tell ya if you have any threats of disease as well. They might just tell you to wait for prices to jump but I think its going to be a long time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ed

What Mark said.
Also, you don't have to have ALL the timber harvested. A select harvest on the more valuable (at the time) timber is not uncommon.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!