iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Forest Management Plan

Started by Jeff, June 02, 2007, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

15 inch double walled plastic. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

SwampDonkey

We can't go below 18" on roads constructed across water courses. But, public roadside ditches are the DOT's responsibility. We are allowed one ditch culvert per property. I had part of an old concrete one collapse a couple years ago and the DOT replaced it free of charge the day after I called.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: Rokky Rakkoon on August 28, 2007, 08:36:56 PM
  there arent any young white pines say 4-8" in diam or 10 to 20 feet tall. seems strange.

One of the reasons for the lack of smaller white pines is because we have too DanG many deer. The deer love to browse on those white pine buds and they kill all the new growth by overbrowsing.

The MN DNR is trying to regenerate white pine stands and have to go out and staple "bud caps" on the young white pines to keep the deer from killing all the new growth.

So if you want more white pine, one method is to eat more venison.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

And if ya got moose they not only rip the buds off, but the whole darn stem gets ripped up and down and tramped into the ground.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Had something exciting happen tonight. Well, atleast exciting to me.

We came hoe from running some errands just before dusk and as we were passing my corner where you can see down the powerline, there were 4 adult deer down there grazing on the foodplot. first time ever to see multiple der down there, other then catching a glimps ofa couple as they crossed it.

Mooseherder

You gotta love it when a plan comes together. ;)

SwampDonkey

I never see a fawn in the summer around the 2 or 3 does that travel together around here. And the deer move out of here in winter, I never see a track. They can't be too far, but not on my woodlot. They will come to winter here as soon as the softwood mature, but that's a looong way off.

Riles

I regularly see a couple of does on my 35 acres, especially as I show up on the property. Not afraid of me at all, I drove within 50 feet of one the other day on the tractor. The twin fawns are a little more skittish. The neighbor on one side is an animal lover, feeds them and puts out a salt lick. The neighbor on the other side is rebuilding his deer stand. That's me in the middle, I like to see them, then cuss at the damage they're doing to my oak seedlings.

Speaking of deer, somebody seems to be moving my flags. I lined the long driveway with red oak, white oak and red maple bare root stock a couple years ago. To keep from mowing over them, I marked them with the orange landscaping flags. When I went back a couple days later, some of the flags were missing and others were laying on the ground. The critters are messing with me.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

crtreedude

I find deer much cuter down here than I did in NJ.  ::) Down here they are nearly all gone but we have a small herd in the first finca - you can see them at times among the trees. Pretty exciting in truth.

Jeff - nice to see your plan coming together. We are big time into expansion right now and I yearn for the days when construction is finished - at least temporarily. We have been building things for 5 years now I feel.  :o

Just a partial list:

4 houses, 2 storage places, 10 kilometers of roads, 3 bridges, 3 ponds, 2 workshops, 2 rebuilt homes...

I am going to stop there before I depress myself...  ::)

The local construction supply place thinks we are wonderful people...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Well, there's nothing wrong with that Fred.  ;D

Jeff

We're headed south and I should be home in about  an hour or so. I took some more photos of my food plots today. Unreal how fast stuff is growing for September. I planted a bunch of Austrian Peas today. I am anxious to see how well they do planted this time of year. 8)

Jeff

Greg, I hit the post button on that last post right at the Wolverine exit ;D ;)

Corley5

8) 8)  Things have really greened up here since we've gotten about 4" of rain the last week or so.  That and the almost 90 degree heat.  I'm ready for fall and it sounds like it's coming next week.  Forecasts are calling for highs in the mid 60s  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Small game season opens in 10 days.  How many days til bow season Jeff  ??? :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I dunno. I derw my bow back for the first time in 5 years this past spring. I got it back, but then knew I was in trouble as I had no arrow and had to let it off. That hurt me and I have not tried since. HOWEVER. I am in the mindset right now that I can do it. I'm planning on getting a couple of bales tomorrow just as if I was going to have no issues. I'm hoping. I've been building my arm strength working on the property and my shoulders have been holding up better then they have in years.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll have Tammy record my first effort and shot just so I know myself weather to pursue it or just give it up and hunt with my camera.

The clover is starting to get foothold now. :)

Jeff

Deer Salad. 8)

One of three birch next to the field that the Bear have all barked up.

Corley5

Ya know...  with your shoulder issues you probably qualify for a crossbow permit.  Get a note from a Dr that says you can't draw a regular bow  :) :)

Jeff

I've had that note for the last 4 years, but I refused to use it. If I cant draw the bow, then I cant do the other things that are necessary for me to take a deer. I'm usually on my own when it comes to bow hunting so if I can't be totally self reliant, I'll continue to pass. Besides, it aint all about getting a deer. Being able to get out there with or without the bow is more to me then any of the rest of it.  Until unable to do so, I had bow hunted since I was 12. I've always been pretty proficient with the bow and that continues to be important to me, so if I can't do it, I don't want a cheap replacement.

Kevin

I hope you don't have any problem with the road warriors.

Jeff

Remember, we won an award for fence building. I figure 8 to 10 foot cedar with the nice little tree cut outs and a gate with a transmission company lock on it will fit the bill. Besides, it gives me more places to hang these: ;D

Kevin

Jeff

:D  No produm. :D   Actually if they try it, I would be the least of their worries. Lou keeps telling me that at 80, he can afford to do things that he couldn't do before. That includes performing burials. :D

Corley5

State law allows you the use of a crossbow.  It's your choice not to take advantage of the law but it's your loss as well :(   :) ;D ;)

Corley5

I'm not a bow hunter never have been but if I qualified for a crossbow permit I'd be one  8) :) :D ;D

Jeff

Your right, but the best part is, I dont consider it a loss not using the crossbow. Its just a personal choice. I may change my mind at some point when if stubbornness retreats. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!