iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Forest Management Plan

Started by Jeff, June 02, 2007, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Greg, you certainly can use a crossbow. Between November 15th and 30th.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Why use a crossbow during the time I can use a high powered rifle 8) 8).  I check deer other people have killed during that time anyway and have little to no time to hunt so using a crossbow during archery season would really suit me better  ;D ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Looks like a lot of mustard or turnip to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff B on September 06, 2007, 10:02:49 PM
Remember, we won an award for fence building. I figure 8 to 10 foot cedar with the nice little tree cut outs and a gate with a transmission company lock on it will fit the bill. Besides, it gives me more places to hang these: ;D

Shouldn't you at least post them cedar research signs on cedar trees.  ::) :D :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

No...   I'm not labeling trees. smiley_dizzy

Thats not mustard or turnip. Its rapeseed.

Jeff

I wasn't sure where to post this but I decided to post it here since it includes some of my plan to manage.  Just down from our property a dozen yards or so is a thing of beauty. A small patch of wild Highbush Cranberries.  I've been watching them and waiting for the day to get them before the birds and the bears with two goals in mind.

Goal number one was to pick some and play birdie. That is "fly" (stumble) around my property looking for a similar area where I could introduce the berries like a bird might, although mine will not have gone through the digestive tract. :D   Goal#1 has been completed. :)  I hope they take. I have no idea how long they take to propagate but I reckon it is years.

Here is goal number two. smiley_smug01

When we go back up I will be making two batches of "Wild Highbush Cranberry" Jam. ;D

SwampDonkey

Maybe Jelly, by dripping the cooked juice from a permeable sac? How ya gonna get them big seeds out in the jam?  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well, same family. Even canola fits.  ;D

Don K

That's neat. Those are nice looking berries.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

I was always getting fleeced by the hornets when picking cranberries for mother. I said the last time, that was it.  :D :D

crtreedude

When I first saw the picture I thought Jeff was curing salmon eggs...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 07, 2007, 07:13:31 PM
Well, same family. Even canola fits.  ;D

Yes it "can". Although not all rapeseed is canola, but all canola is rapeseed. :)

thecfarm

Jeff,could you plant some beets or is the ground too wet?One year I got busy and left the beets in the ground.The deer pawed through the snow to get at them.The snow was purple.They liked the carrots too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

THis next year I will plant some turnips in the mix. The ground isn't wet at all. :)

SwampDonkey

Deer love beet greens, and I bet turnip tops to. Ask any gardener with deer around. ;D

crtreedude

Jeff could plant tulips - I know that deer like them.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Lilies to, and some are native. ;D

Jeff

Part of the management plan that Ron had prescribed for my property is the removal of the Aspen and Balsam Poplar. 

I think I invented a new word. ;D   "Aspendectomy"  :)

Most of you know that I spent most my entire working life in a saw booth with a few stints in the woods and on the road in a log truck, plus a little hauling lumber when times were lean in the mill. My Logger experiences though were limited to mechanized machinery. I ran Skidders and Loaders, Slashers and total tree chippers, and a bobcat with a feller buncher, however I never did any felling with chainsaws. I did work behind a feller as a limber and bucker, but never any felling.  This leave me inadequately prepared, safety wise, for starting the removal of some of the larger aspen on my property. I just don't want to go up there with only book knowledge and end up killing myself or worse. (I figure there are fates worse then death). 

So, I have found some help in giving me some training. Friday, Tammy is taking me up to the cabin and dropping me off and Saturday morning Kevin is coming down to spend the weekend. Were going to start taking down some of my larger aspen that I am going to use to saw framing material out of.  The start of my management plan's Aspendectomy :)

Tuesday, Burlkraft is coming over and we're going to probably start skidding logs our with the Logrite Mark7 arch. That is if it isn't to wet in there yet. If it is, then were going to transplant some Balsam fir to a place where I need a visual screen.

Gary_C

Sounds like a fun weekend. Too bad I am so far away as the forwarder is not being used much right now. But it would cost more to get it there and back than the trees would be worth.

Hope you have a good winch to pull them down after they are cut.

How many do you plan to cut?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

My land is to sensitive to use a fowarder on. I'll be using the Logrite arch.  I don't know exactly how many  saw log size trees, but my guess is less then 20, but not necessarily all this weekend. Pete has some good size Tamarack that he wants me to take at the cabin as well since several died last year, were guessing due to the very dry conditions they went through.

SwampDonkey

Heard a land owner ask someone today. Should I cut that old cedar down there and replant it?

First, I was wondering if he knew it lives a mighty long time. And I wondered if he knew how bad the cedar actually was and if it was worth trying to market. Sometimes it's best left standing, for wildlife if nothing else and maybe for greater significance, water quality. Be dang shame a deer or moose might have a cedar stand to winter in.  ::)

Then a respond was given that it has a long life. And pretty much followed my additional thoughts given above.

Then I wondered how he thought a wet cedar swamp was going to be reforested with anything other than cedar and maybe balm of gilead, possibly tamarak and how was he going to achieve it. I never heard a solution.

I don't agree with clear cutting cedar, yet this is the attitude around here. The guy that owns it will be long dead and that cedar will be there for a long time to come.

Bow Saw

Jeff,
Remember to bring your video equipment
so we can see your post on youtube! ;D
Mrs. B.S.

leweee

How did the "Aspendectomy"   :)  GO?
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

Still in da O.R. in da U.P.  No good way to post til I get home next weekend. Lots of work. Its good for me.  Wait until you see the video of a Logrite cant hook felling a 75 foot tall aspen!

SwampDonkey

Wish I had the camera today Jeff. I coulda showed ya some big old whallopers for cedar where I was marking out for thinning. There was 3 huge ones within a  tight circle, each about 30 inches or so on the but end. Many are dying in that spot from age. I bet they are over 300 years old. Most would be hollow. I seen a few cords laid to waste along the roadside.  Criminal. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!