iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Management Plan changed

Started by Bay Beagle, January 30, 2018, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bay Beagle

1st of all, there is a wealth of information on this site, and I would like to say thanks!!!! - I have had my woodlot for 25 years, and had a sound management plan.  My plan was to cut the less quality trees, leaving the select trees,  Then in 10+ years cut, these select trees.  At this time, there will not be any hardwoods, and everything would have to be planted in pine.  I have no children, and all my nephews and nieces will cash out the day the dirt is thrown over me.  We are talking reality.  Two years ago, my Doctor says my lungs are going south, (pulmonary fibriouces) and breathing is an effort when I exert myself working or playing (a long life is not in the cards). So I have changed my plan to cut the quality trees, leaving the others for eye appeal - so if I need to cash out (down size), it will not look like a nuclear blast, when it's time to sell the farm.  Look @ my pics, and tell me your thoughts.  I have talked to the pros, been to VT classes, had cruisers and consultants come threw ..... but the road is not always the same for everybody ... I am only one week into this 2 month project - so changes can be made ....  again ~ Your thoughts  - and thanks!!!

a).  view of the woods before cutting:

b). view after the cutting:

c). what we are cutting"

chep

So you high graded your lot to cash out after 25 years of mgmt?
No offense but I wouldn't brag. That's not a change to your management plan, that's ignoring it...
Did you have to get a state forester to sign off on it?

chep

Sorry to hear about your health. That stinks. Just curious what the consultants recomended

Bay Beagle

Recommended - two plans:
a).  "To have a complete harvest, and convert it to a evergreen dominated forest type"
OR
b).  "Tree harvest improvement done.  Remove the lower valued hardwood species, along with any pines in the stand.  To identify 20 to 30 suitable crop trees per acre, and remove any trees directly competing with those crop trees during the coarse of the harvest.  Cutting this way would concentrate growth on the more valuable oaks and popular, and encourage natural regeneration of oak and popular in the understory." 

Andries

BayBeagle:
I feel for you.
Hearing a diagnosis like that is awful. Wishing you strength in dealing with that news.

Your first post more or less describes "high grading", taking only the best trees and leaving the scruff.
Your post just above describes two management plans.
So, how are the two posts connected?

Have you considered that by high grading, you are lowering the selling value of your land? Does the money you get by logging it outweigh that loss?

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bay Beagle

{So, how are the two posts connected?}  .... I was replying to CHEP's question, regarding the recommendation.

{Have you considered that by high grading, you are lowering the selling value of your land?}  ......
I have.  Land value is pretty much $XXX per acre for open land, and $XXX for wooded land between D.C and Richmond Va.  I do not see where timber becomes a huge value into acre pricing, other than it is a wooded lot.  I see that "eye appeal" is a important factor, so that is another reason for leaving timber.  I think 95% of any potential buyers are looking to a). live in the country, b) open land for playing in the dirt or having a pony, c) hunting opportunities for Daddy - timber value will still be there ..... but aesthetic value would be the decision maker  ...... these are my thought and observations.   

Ron Wenrich

I've always found that most land buyers don't care about the timber value.  Realtors are fairly ignorant about it, as well as bankers.  Aesthetics is the major value contributor.  If you think it would be a value difference maker, take your inventory appraisal and see what a realtor would do with it. 

If you clearcut and plant pines, then your next landowner would also want to be in the pine business. 

I think it comes down to whatever you're comfortable with.  If you don't need the money, you may want to let the next owner continue the management and have the satisfaction of being a good steward to the land.  If you want to make sure you're nieces and nephews don't cash out, make a stipulation in the will.  You could sell the property now and let the decisions rest on the next owner.  There is no situation that is a clear lock in being a better decision than any other. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Andries

Bay and Ronald, thanks for the 'perspective adjustment'.
I'm coming from the perspective of a landowner in an area that's been high graded far too many times.

Everyone that owns a forested plot of land comes to it with their own set of values and needs.
. . .  and as the Real Estate gal in my life keeps saying: " a property is worth whatever the next buyer is willing to pay for it."  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Do what is right for you Bay Beagle, everyone else is. Woods can be managed many different ways. My land has all been clear cut 25 years ago. I planted trees for a few years, I thinned for a few more. Now I have a forest again.  The cycle of cutting in these parts seems to be 30-40 years these days. That isn't for me, not what I want.  Some day some one will have some bigger trees to cut, won't be me (except fir). But clear cutting on short rotations isn't conducive to bigger log trees. It keeps one in the low grade, low value all the time. ;D It won't be clear cut as long as I own it. But I will be cutting lots of wood to, taking the junk for firewood and a few fir for my own logs to mill. Who knows, things can change in a hurry when your health turns for the worst.  ;)

I don't put much stock in real estate pricing of forest land. They have no clue. They want to sell buildings and house lots and subdivisions. Woods are an obstacle to get there. A good logger will put more value on it than a real estate agent. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I once did an appraisal and mgmt plan for a client that had recently bought the land.  I appraised the timber for more than the sales price.  Shortly after, I bumped into the realtor that sold the property.  I thought maybe I could sell my services to a realty firm, so I told him that I had appraised the timber for more than the sale price.  He told me he didn't care, since he made his commission.  Tells you who that realtor is working for. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!