iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DOLMAR 111 STARTER DIFFERENCES

Started by FATBOY2017, July 14, 2019, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FATBOY2017

Hello, firstly let me say thanks to all for the very useful info I pickup from you all.As you all seem to be, I am an chainsaw collector. Amongst others I have 3 x DOLMAR 111's and I am trying to resurrect a saw I bought as a parts saw but as usual decided it is too good to strip for bits. It is missing the starter and cover assembly and this is different to the other 111's I have, it has 'teeth' cut in the flywheel rather than the usual pawls screwed to the flywheel, can anybody help to find me a solution and to id exactly why it is different? I tried to upload photos but for some reason the site does not seem to allow me to upload photos, not sure why, can anybody explain that for me as photos will help for sure. These saws are IMO excellent workhorses, light and make great semi pro / homeowner saws.
Thanks in advance.

Stable includes:
Dolmar 111 x 3
Dolmar  112
Dolmar  PS340 x 2
Makita   DCS 520 x 2
Makita   DCS 4300i x 1
Makita   DCS 430 x 2
Oleo -Mac  264F  x 1
Partner P543 ( Husky 55)
Makita DCS 340 x 3 
Husqvarna 346XP x 1 

lxskllr

Welcome! Can't help with the saw, but there's a photo upload tutorial here...

Updated Photo Posting Tutorial in Technical Support Topics

edit:
If you still have issues after watching the tutorial, let me know what you're getting stuck on, and I'll try to help.

sawguy21

Does it have 'teeth' in a cup? If so it was equiped with the earlier Fairbanks-Morse rewind, finding a suitable starter could be a challenge. I am a big fan of Sachs-Dolmar but we don't see many.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

At first they had the teeth on the flywheel and starter but they did not prove out too well. Sawdust would gather in the flywheel teeth and be compressed in there when using the starter, after a bit the teeth would not grab fully and the starter would begin to slip and wear the plastic teeth down and game over, they soon began to put the pawl type starters on.

What part of the world are you in?

sablatnic

You are right, the starter was like that for the first few years, they went to a more traditional starter in like 1985 - 86. 
No, it is not a Fairbanks Morse starter. 
This ring would slide out and connect the pulley to the flywheel: https://motobikeshop.rs/en/product/bendiks-dolmar-109-110-111

FATBOY2017

Thanks for info,I'm in Cheshire, UK, looks like it would be difficult to find a recoil and housing then, any solutions?

FATBOY2017

Again you guy's come up with the info! I'll have to see if the motorbikeshop seller has all the bits required, I see the bendix but not sure if this mates directly to the recoil and as I don't have a housing I need all pieces required, does anybody have an early parts diagram?

Hilltop366

You would be better off switching to the pawl type of starter, the only thing extra would be the flywheel seeing how you need the rest anyway, I may have some old used parts around somewhere but I live in Nova Scotia Canada so it would be lots for shipping I bet.

I may also have the parts diagram as well.

FATBOY2017

That's what I was thinking, I can try one of the flywheels off my other 111's, but you think they are a direct swap? If so i'm sure I can pick one up around here, or another parts saw! one that's to far gone to get up and running!!  ;D I got this one without cover and pull start and is in quite good condition, i'm sure the starter failed, it got laid up and never solved, but saw is too good to scrap.

sablatnic

I believe it is a direct swap, and I seem to recall making a switch back in the days, but try it, you have the parts needed for a test. 

FATBOY2017

I swapped flywheel and recoil from one of my other 111's and all fits spot on and works fine. Picked a s/h recoil and flywheel up and that got that up and running, so thanks to all for you help.

sablatnic

Good!
Don't toss the "weird" flywheel, some day you might pick up a recoil that'll fit, and you will have an original early Sachs Dolmar 111. ^_^

Thank You Sponsors!