iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for standing white pine

Started by jimmy, September 14, 2005, 07:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

I have a neighbor down the road that wants to sell some of his big white pine trees he asked if i would like to buy them. I would have to cut them down and haul them away myself. Do i give him a so much a board foot  using a tree scale stick? Do i use the doyle scale? I was thinking of offering him around 150 to 200 per thousand bd ft.

Kelvin

Loggers around here offer by the tree, and on the stump is not much.  Clean up would make it a negative deal.  If you can leave the junk, i'd pay a bit if it was real good, otherwise you should be able to find free logs on the small scale.  you just have to contact tree services and be patient, i've found.  In a hurry always cost me money.  Just for reference, i've bought 60' red pine logs for $95 at the log yard, they were 16" on the butt end but didn't really taper.  White pine is more expensive, but usually someone who wants to know if you want to buy them really wants the trees gone in the first place.  How much would that cost them? 4 big pines= $2-3k?

Brad_S.

I can buy WP cut and delivered for $250-$300 and could probably find it cheaper if I tried. Like Kelvin, I think you would be offering waaaay too much to cut and haul plus pay 150 to 200.
Find a stumpage report for your area. I'm guessing 50-100 is what you'll see. And like Kelvin also said, that's if you can leave the slash where it lies.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Norwiscutter

White Pine seams to be up a little lately if I am not mistaken. I think you can get 280-320/per 1000 at the mill for #2's around here. If you have the machines to get it out of the woods without killing yourself, then I would say 60-70/per cord would be the highest I would go.  Understand that because he is a private job, it might not be cost effective for many loggers to cut it, depending on the job size and other factors.  He therefore may not be happy with the stumpage offered by loggers and therefore is tryign to get a little more out of you. Also, whatever you do, get a contract.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

DonE911

;D ;D ;D

Speaking of White Pine..... I just got back from looking at a job to remove some white pine logs.

I get there and they are still standing in a yard, along side a road, right at a parking area to a public lake access. 

The lady that lives there thought I'd be thrilled to cut them down, clean up all the mess from the 3 "logs" she was giving away, and do it all for free, cause she knows that white pines sells for $200 a truck load..... geeeeeez.

The pines are about 35" ( not exactly, just a good guess  I didn't bother to look to close ) Each tree has at least four bird houses hanging on it, one has some type of wire grown over it, but still passing through both sides ... maybe a clothes line ... now since its next to the public lake access.. how many signs have been nailed to it over the years.... 

My wife took the message on this one and heard "free logs" and that might have been it.......  I'm glad I didn't have to go out of my way to look at this one...  I'd been made about the gas, but I did get a little chuckle as I drove away.  Can't be upset with the wife, cuz she's gett'n to be a good log hound and a wasted trip from time to time is worth it.

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to know, but it's a good story anyhow.... not trying to i-jack your thread

twoodward15

around me the tree service guys get about $750 a day to work your trees and cleanup.  Charge him that and then go from there with the reducing the price for the amount of lumber.  Sounds to me like the guy found out how much it would cost him to have them taken down by a tree service, but now he thinks he's sitting on a gold ine in lumber.  I wouldn't pay a cent for them if I was in that position, but that's just me.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Captain

I don't pay for White Pine that is already on the ground in log form.  Sometimes, I even charge them to haul it away...if it is low quality,. far from home, or I have grossly excess inventory. (Like I do right now....)

Captain

spencerhenry

i recently had the same question, what to offer for standing timber. i paid for standing dead lodgepole pine, $750/ log truck load. each load was about 8000 bf  give or take. my original basis was $120/mbf. i came up with that by taking the average minimum bid put out by the forest service for the same thing. i think i probably paid a little bit too much. i can buy a full load of the same for $2100 delivered. i added in the trucking, and my fuel and time and it was about a wash. GOOD sawtimber is worth decent money on the stump. but becareful not to get some land owner that things you are going to pile slash, or take the tree down to 2". the deal i had with the guy i bought standing timber from was this: i will pay $120/mbf, or $750/ truckload (no spec on actual bdft). nothing under 10" dbh would be cut, no logs under 6" would be hauled out, slash would be knocked down to within 18" of the ground, i wouldnt cut any trees that i couldnt get a skidder waist line to.

SwampDonkey

Most loggers here leave white pine standing where it is, even on crown cut blocks. In my area it's too scattered to make a full load on a job site. Some areas south of here have pure stands of white pine. I have see guys go in with portable mills to retrieve some standing white pine. I think they get the trees pretty cheep. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

We only have one mill around here that will accept White Pine. $200.00 per MBF, only 16 inches and up.
Bill

SwampDonkey

J.D. Irving takes it at their Doaktown Mill (~500 mbfm, 10 inches +), which is 130 miles from here. But, no one is going to haul 8 or 10 logs all the way over there. And you can't leave it lay on the ground long or the fungus and bugs get to it right quick. Best time to cut pine here is late fall and winter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!