iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.050 big Stihl chains going the way of the dodo?

Started by teacherman, March 06, 2020, 02:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teacherman

Dang. I'm going through my bars to fit saws that are selling, and it seems the local pros all use .063 chain on their big saws. I have four 25" and two 28" bars that take .050" drive link width chain. Does anyone know if Stihl will continue to sell chain for these bars? The 28" I'm set for, with ten chains, but the 25" I've only three. Amazon has a few on there for about $35 apiece, but ebay seems to only show aftermarket chains, which don't seems to stay sharp nearly as long as Stihl chains.

I imagine picco chain will stay available for the smaller saws, so maybe if I spin down the rim sprockets a bit on a lathe... say_what

Thoughts?

lxskllr

.050 is the standard gauge around here. I'm sure you can specify anything you want, but if you take a saw off the shelf, it'll most likely be wearing an .050. I think it's regional. Depending on where you live, you may have a different "standard".

tawilson

I just got a couple loops of 25" .050 Stihl chains from the local dealer. He had to order them so Stihl is still making them.
Edit: And a 25" bar to go with them.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Al_Smith

At one time for  instance they made .404 in  .050 ,.058 and .063 .Stihl oddly enough makes .325 in .063 which I don't understand .Tiny chain why the beefed up drivers ?
Fact by not paying attention I hung a .325 by .050 on a Stihl 024 which obviously didn't cut well .Brain fart as it was stamped right on the bar.063  .Cut just fine after that .--old dog new trick thing .It happens . 

teacherman

Quote from: lxskllr on March 06, 2020, 02:41:11 PM
.050 is the standard gauge around here. I'm sure you can specify anything you want, but if you take a saw off the shelf, it'll most likely be wearing an .050. I think it's regional. Depending on where you live, you may have a different "standard".
So that's what I thought all along, but the independent saw tech marketing some of these saws to local tree guys says he believes Stihl is phasing out the .050 on the 3/8 chain. Interesting bit, I've never seen .325 in anything but .063, so as Al Smith pointed out, seems a bit inconsistent. Oh well. I won't worry just yet. I have four 25" bars I got for cheap on eflay, so having chain available is a bit of a thing.
Thanks.

teacherman

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 06, 2020, 03:10:00 PM
At one time for  instance they made .404 in  .050 ,.058 and .063 .Stihl oddly enough makes .325 in .063 which I don't understand .Tiny chain why the beefed up drivers ?
Fact by not paying attention I hung a .325 by .050 on a Stihl 024 which obviously didn't cut well .Brain fart as it was stamped right on the bar.063  .Cut just fine after that .--old dog new trick thing .It happens .
I picked up a pair of NOS 024s a couple years ago, and I am keeping them. I run picco chain, having two 16" picco medium mount bars, and another on order just today. One is in service, and it's not even close to broke in, so it is not an impressive performer by any means. However, I suspect it is nearly as durable as an 028 in that configuration. It's hobby and firewood cutting now, and maybe some milling in the future. Gotta have a reason to explain the copious saw hoard!

sawguy21

Stihl 33RS, 3/8X.050, is extremely popular around here. Your dealer may not stock the loops you need but should be able to make one in a few minutes. We only see .063 in .404 and very little of that anymore.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

FWIW an 024 will do just fine in .325 .My Stihl dealer orders twice a week from the distributor  in Cincinnati   Ohio 120 miles away .It's no longer than three days I can get nearly every part Stihl might still make .Surprisingly it's very seldom they have to special order any parts .Once for four Stihl 460 rescue saw handles I use on my souped up saws .They only had one in stock.I certainly cannot complain . 

teacherman

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 06, 2020, 10:13:18 PM
FWIW an 024 will do just fine in .325 
Yeah, I just like to make thin cuts. One thing I like about the 034 Super is that I can use .325 chain because the smaller sprocket rim spline will take the same ones as the 026. I could use picco, but I like an 18" bar on a 60 cc saw. 8 tooth rim with .325 chain unless it's osage orange or similarly hard wood. Just for fun. 361 has a larger clutch, so that's fine for 3/8.
Thank you guys for reassuring me on the availability of chain. I was actually worried a bit  on that one.

Pine Ridge

Here where i'm at almost all Husqvarna saws have .050 guage on them and Stihls have .063 guage. I've got a 61 Husqvarna that has an 18" bar on it in .058 guage. That .058 guage is very uncommon here.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Al_Smith

FWIW a Stihl 034 super for all intents is the same as an 036 .It's a preference I suppose but to me standard 3/8" chain will cut faster that .325 on a saw that size .Takes  a bigger chip for one thing rather than a bunch of little nibbles .I'm talking hard midwestern dead hard woods .

teacherman

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 07, 2020, 09:15:39 PM
FWIW a Stihl 034 super for all intents is the same as an 036 .It's a preference I suppose but to me standard 3/8" chain will cut faster that .325 on a saw that size .Takes  a bigger chip for one thing rather than a bunch of little nibbles .I'm talking hard midwestern dead hard woods .
Thanks for that. I will have to try a test of that. The tech handling disposition of some of my saws says none of his crews will use a 404 chain on the big saws, so my 41" bar I got to keep because he said nobody would want it. So tree companies here use the 3/8 on the 120+ cc saws. Skip tooth, I'd imagine.
I think the 0_4 series saws might be a bit narrower, at least when they get bigger. Maybe not so much in the 50-60 cc range, though. I sure do like the 044 and the 064 a lot.

Al_Smith

A lot of choice of chain size depends on the area it's used in .For example I was given a McCulluch 32" bar that I assumed it was from the west coast  because it was.404 50 thou .It was sized for Mac 10 series which for the most was limited to 81 cc .It wasn't for the larger reed valve engines .I just changed the nose over to 3/8" chain size .Cost me about 15 bucks flea bay .
The .404 was used in the big timber country on soft woods because it not only took a bigger bite but also cleared the chips better than 3/8".

teacherman

Update. I spoke with Todd, the manager of Maisch Small Engine, an excellent (pm me if interested why I say that) Stihl dealer in KC, and he said that actually, his understanding is that Stihl is headed toward phasing out the .063 chain and bars, rather than the other way around. Go figure. Seems the thicker drive link would wear less over time, and track more truly, but the bar rails would be thinner, and more expensive to replace. 

Thank You Sponsors!