iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tuning new 372xp

Started by flannigan, October 10, 2004, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flannigan

Hello,

I have about 5 tanks worth of use on a new Husky 372xp.  The manual says it is set rich for break in and that I will get better power with tuning the carburetor now. Is this something others have done?  The power seems pretty good, but I could always use more.

By the way, for anyone shopping saws - this is my second Husqvarna - I've had a 55Rancher for a few years and used and abused it.  It's been the ultimate in reliabilily - just a little low on power (for a 20 inch bar at least).  I will continue to buy Huskys!

Thanks

SawMeister

I am in the same boat as you. I have a new 385XP with about 4 tanks of use. I had a fellow at a local saw shop that works on both husky's and Stihls tell me if it ain't broke why try and fix it? I don't put a lot of stock in this guy nor does his shop see a lot of business from me or my friends. The directions in the owner manual seem pretty clear but I would be afraid that I would screw something else if I were to try it myself.

Timberwerks

I have both the 372 and 385 and both ran about 800 - 1000 rpm lower than max from the factory. After break in I used a tach and set the carb to run at 13,500 for the 372 and 13,000 for the 385. It did make a differance in performance. I did this after 10 tanks. I recomend using or buying a tach to keep your saws in tune.

Dale

jokers

A tach is a handy tool to have but don`t use it to the exclusion of your senses and other feedback from the saw. For example, a tach won`t tell you if your lo speed setting is too lean yet the lo speed circuit in a conventional carb like what the 372 uses, supplies about 30% of the total hi speed fuel.

A tach without some fundamental knowledge of carb tuning can put you up the creek.

Check out Madsen`s website for some pretty good carb tuning info.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!