iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help planning a trip to the US and Canada...

Started by Trailer Builder, March 13, 2011, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer Builder

Hey guys,
Hoping to get over to the states and canada later this year and i was hoping you could help me with some ideas of places i would be best to see typical logging operations.... such as the main logging states and what not.

plasticweld

I am not sure what typical is . We are a two man crew running two skidders, we cut hardwood mostly Ash and Oak on hilly ground, depending on the site we run a landing loader and cut tree length.  I am in Up-state NY. while I am not the center of logging as far as the large commercial sales go I think we represent the average hardwood cutters in the northeast who harvest hardwood.

The other plus is that I am located in a tourist area. a lot o beautiful sights to see from waterfalls and lakes and gorges to the wineries that line the lake, Lots of other stuff to see if you get bored looking at just logging

Here is a link to a web site that will give you more info  .http://www.watkinsglenchamber.com/

The plus also is my wife and I enjoy company and you would be welcome here if it fits into your plans..Bob

CX3

There is a lot of timber that gets cut in Missouri.  You will see large outfits with 6-7 skidders and all the fancy stuff, to operations like mine that have one small skidder, etc.  Mostly everyone here cuts oak logs for the railroad ties, but as far as selling someone a big nice truck and trailer combo, I wouldnt suggest my area.  Maybe the areas from Potosi, MO down to around West Plains, MO.  They cut a lot of timber over there.

Now for big upscale logging outfits, Oregon, Washington, Northern California, almost all of the NW corner of our country is rigged up for the bigger logging trade.  That is probably where I would go to see what US logging is really all about. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

QuoteThat is probably where I would go to see what US logging is really all about. 

I certainly would not put it that way and a lot of guys from other states certainly wouldn't.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bill m

Why not try to see all different size operations from the big outfits in the PNW to someone like me that uses a farm tractor.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BaldBob

Per unit of time spent, you would get to see more logging and more diverse types of logging on the west side of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia than any other region of North America. However, for hardwood operations (other than Alder, Big Leaf Maple, and a small amount of Oregon White Oak ) you need to visit other regions of the continent.

CX3

Well Jeff he asked for the main logging states, I would think that would be the NW corner?  Where were you thinking?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

240b

During my last mud season road trip around the US I saw many different kinds of logging outfits and equipment. Stopped to talk with loggers when I saw them.  Most are friendly when you tell them you log also.  THe upper mid west was the most impressive to me just the volume of operations.  Kind of like northern New England 25 years ago. The thing which did seem to carry across the country was the fact that most operations I encountered were small two man one skidder/fowarder set ups, and all loggers trucks have oil caked tail gates.  The PNW was neat but I would not say it represents the whole of north america at all.

Bandmill Bandit

yup i agree!!!  :D

Now if your planning on being here for 6 month you may be able to see enough of the continent AND the various methods and equipment that are used across the continent on both sides of the boarder by the BIG guys and the little guys. lots see pretty much where ever you choose to go. Lot of diversity too.
BUT!!!  8)

We is all makin round sticks into square sticks. :)
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ScottAR

We can't even agree what typical logging is and we live here.   :D
The Pacific NW definitely has logging operations but is not the only game and certainly not "typical" in my area for example as our terrain and timber species are very different. 
Maine, most of the east coast states, and nearly the entire southeast and Texas have timber industry in some form or fashion
equipment and practice to fit their situation.  If this is a work trip someone here can recommend the places to do you the most good.  If this is a pleasure trip, I suggest a bit of reading on species you'd like to see harvested and go from there.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

mad murdock

I think you would have to say that "typical" operations would be specific to each region of the country, as terrain, and species varies greatly, method vary by similar degrees for the same reasons.  Growing up in the Northern Great Lakes region and learning the woods there, was a lot different from what I encountered in the interior of Alaska, which was different completely from what I have seen in Eastern Washington/Idaho panhandle, which was different from what I have seen on the coast range of oregon and Washington, to even differences from the way things are done in Northern CA.  There are some similarities, but each region has evolved into what is "typical" based on problems that have needed to be overcome for their specific area.  Unless you are talking "typical" horse logging? I mean, the field is wide open as to what is "typical".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JHBC

I remember you mentioning heading over to the Kamloops area, Chase I think.  If you want interior and some mixed coastal op's, head about half a days drive North to Prince George, from there to the North Coast, Hazelton, Prince Rupert, etc. You will see some massive mills, and very large scale logging, mostly pine in the central interior.  On the Island, towns like Port Alberni, Port Hardy and everything in between, lot of logging still going on.  Bigger trees and amazing areas to work in.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Brucer

On the west side of the continent you're going to see mainly softwood logging and some really big wood on the coast. On the east side you're going to see a lot more hardwood logging. Come to the interior of British Columbia if you want to see some pretty amazing terrain -- steep for logging and steep for hauling.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you're thinking of coming to BC. There'll be a period of time in March/April when the woods are closed down during breakup (i.e., the frost coming out of the ground and everything turning to mush). Mills will still be running, though. In the summer -- usually mid-July to mid-August -- there may be logging restrictions due to fire risk. There's no way to predict this so just keep in mind that if you're coming in the summer you'll need to be flexible in your planning.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!