iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planning next trip - Rorotonga (again)

Started by Ianab, May 23, 2014, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Still early stages yet, but looking at places to stay etc.

Winter is just starting to set in. Tropical Island starts sounding like a good idea etc.  ;)

This is starting to look pretty good
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

That looks good any time of year.  ;D  Is that where you got married? Was it last year??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Yup, same place

We hadn't even gotten home from the wedding and we were discussing the next trip  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

Oh, I'd love to go! I want to visit every inhabited island group in the Pacific before I die. So far-- only been to one. . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

Quote from: Okrafarmer on May 23, 2014, 10:00:25 PM
Oh, I'd love to go! I want to visit every inhabited island group in the Pacific before I die. So far-- only been to one. . .

Rarotonga is nice. Only has ~13,000 residents. No big developments or businesses. But it's big enough to have all the basic amenities, and tourism is the main industry, It's pretty tourist and family friendly there.

This is the main road and local store across the road from where we stayed last time. They sell pretty much everything. Groceries, Icecreams, burgers, petrol, beer  :D

Ian

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

OK, rental house is booked, but it's not till later next year.  Got to get through 2 winters first.  ::)

Place looks nice Sth coast beach front AND a pool was a bit more than our budget, but we can handle no pool if you have the lagoon in front of the house.

http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/titikaveka/listing/6121.html

Knowing the island now, and the agent that's renting the place, we are happy that it will be nice. It will have ants, hermit crab and lizards of course, and a stray dog, but that's what you expect.   :D

Just got to save some $ now.

Ian

buzywoodliff

That looks awesome!!   Now I've gotta look up Rarotonga..... About every February I have to go south for my dose of Vitamin Sea!!

Ianab

I think there are some Air New Zealand flights from LA to Rarotonga now. Before that you had to fly through NZ, and then backtrack 4 hours.  ::)

buzywoodliff

I'll bet flights there are a little pricey, but definitely a candidate for the ole bucket list!!  Warm, beach, and not many people... Just what I like!!

JustinW_NZ

Lucky Ian!

Nice place, my wife was born on the island funnily enough!

We got married there as well, good place for it!

We were much the same, we thinking of the things to do next time on the flight home!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

LIL

Only four months (give or take) to go and we will be hanging out here :D

https://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/56208.asp

With the temperatures getting down to cooler than I like, we're really looking forward to it :)

Justin, even with being twice already, there are still things we haven't done, like the sub and going to the museum - these are on the list for this time round.  Me, I'd be quite happy to hire a scooter and do laps of the Island with my sister.

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Ianab

gspren

The island looks nice, really nice, are there good months or is it good weather year around? What would the cost average in US Dollars?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ianab

Quote from: gspren on August 11, 2015, 06:46:26 PM
  The island looks nice, really nice, are there good months or is it good weather year around? What would the cost average in US Dollars?

Just had a look on the Air NZ web page, cost about $1,000 US per person for LA to Rarotonga return if you book well in advance. Make sure you choose the days that have the direct flight, otherwise it's fly to Auckland and then double back to the Cook Islands. Accommodation and food varies. Backpackers to ~4 star, priced accordingly. We rent a nice little private house on the beach, get food at the supermarket, and hire a car so the costs while we are there are pretty reasonable.

It's "Winter" there now, which means the temp might dip below 20C at night. Means you might want to take a sweatshirt, and a raincoat.   :D

45 days till we go, so it should be warming up a bit. T-shirt weather, and warm enough that you don't worry when it rains on you.

What I liked about the clip was being able to ID the actual spots where it was taken. Lil watched and said "that's were we took those pics in my wedding dress".  :D The boats with people swimming around them are Capt Tama's glass bottom lagoon tours that we have been on etc. So it's not some phony tourist commercial, that's what the place does actually look like. 

Ianab

Not sure if I've posted this one, but it's good for a laugh.

Official Cook Islands tourism commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9ITxKA7r8

Ianab

This is house we are renting.
Colour might have been boosted a little, but distance to the beach is about right.  ;D

SLawyer Dave

Looks beautiful.  Only problem is that apparently they also drive on the wrong side of the road.   ;D

Ianab

2 more sleeps...

Got my sandals, board shorts, couple of T-shirts, snorkel gear, underwater camera(s). So pretty much good to go.  8)

Magicman

I'll bet the entire family is pumped and ready to go!!   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Probably last post before Rarotonga. Be there in ~24 hours.

Bed time here, with the shift to daylight saving time in the morning. Then an early start and about 4 hour drive to Auckland airport. Get the car parked, us dropped off at the terminal and checked in. Then 4 hour flight to Raro, crossing the date line back to Saturday and a couple of time zones. Then find rental car and house. Then we wake up in Raro and it's some random time on Sunday morning again....

Then I don't have to worry what time it is for about 2 weeks  8)

sandhills

Ianab

Quick check in while we eat breakfast.

Just on sunrise on a beautiful spring day here. Not a cloud in the sky. Outside temp reads 3°C

This morning in Avarua, 23°C

Right, off to pack up the car.  :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Thank You Sponsors!