iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Fifth Wheel

Started by Magicman, May 27, 2015, 02:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on May 27, 2015, 09:34:51 PM
did you get the hitch installed on the camper yet so you can pull mill?  ;D :D :D :D

nice looking rig! :)

Beat me to it!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Actually I have thought about it, but for now, no.  When I need to "overnight" on a sawing job, the customer provides or pays for lodging.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

What do you get more of, the customer putting you up for the night, or them sending you off to a motel?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I'd say about 50-50.  I have stayed in motel rooms, spare bedrooms, camper in the yard, & deer camp.  All have been satisfactory.  Almost always they provide meals.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Cool.  The past two portable jobs I've had, well one was last week and one is coming up this week are 2-1/2 hrs north of me, and they both offered to put me up for the night.  I finished the first one in a day, about 15 cherry logs, and some hard maple too.  This next one this week he's figured it at about 4000 feet in his logs and wants 4/4 boards and 2x6s for some farm projects.  He offered me a trailer he has I can stay in.  I'm fine sleeping in the bed of my truck, plus I don't have to make it so that's pretty much got me soled 8)
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

The 5th Wheel performed flawlessly on our 3K mile PR trip.  I am not saying that I am totally in my comfort zone backing it yet.  Sure, backing is easy, but also very different with the hitch point 2" in front of the rear axle. 

The ~5K lb weight did not affect my fuel mileage as much as I expected and I accepted the 11.7 MPG as being very satisfactory.  Actually it was about equal to the mileage with the truck camper.  It seems that wind resistance has more affect than weight.

I just have to do some more sawing to make some more gas/traveling $$$.   ;D

Magicman

I finished my "modified hitch hauler" project.  I can now run the generator/air conditioner to cool the camper while we are traveling.  That way it will already be cool when we stop for the evening.

Since the rear camper lights are compromised by the generator and spare tire, I added LED tail/signal/stop lights to the generator platform.

This shows the bracing from the platform to the existing rear bumper.  I also added an additional sewer hose carrier.

Carson-saws

Saaaaaaweet!!!!!  Very nice!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Thank You Sponsors!