iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feasible Renewable Energy - A Major Step Forward - Maybe

Started by submarinesailor, December 25, 2017, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Having worked in the Energy Management industry for many years.  I have had the opportunity to speak with many people about renewable energy and I have always told them that TRUE renewable energy isn't feasible/workable until we have some type of low cost/reliable/workable energy storage.  Well, it looks like we may have taken a major step forward.

If the article is true...........https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/news/elon-musk-s-giant-100mw-battery-took-just-140-milliseconds-to-restore-power-to-30-000-homes-336365.html"Elon Musk's massive backup lithium-ion battery installed in South Australia kicked into action few days ago and delivered 100 megawatts of power into the national electricity grid in just 140 milliseconds. This happened when a coal-fired electric plant in Australian state of Victoria failed, leading to a power cut." 

Again, if this is true, than hopefully this is a major step forward.

Bruce

starmac

A major feat for sure, or at least it sounds like it.

It says the battery system can handle that load for 1 hour when fully charged, I wish it told more about it as far as how long it takes to recharge, cost of recharging it, how much can it power on a continued basis, or is this just going to be a quick backup source, till the backup kicks in?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

maple flats

I have 2 medium size lithium Ion batteries, both to power an electric trolling motor. Li-ion batteries can hold a good charge, can be recharged from any state of charge (SOC) and can be drained to near or at zero reserve, the big issue is their cost. For a 545 AH battery the cost is $570 in 12V. A battery bank large enough to run any home energy system will cost a fortune.
I have old school, high quality lead acid batteries, at my sugarhouse I have a 240 ah 48V bank (8 x 6v Trojans at $180 each) and at my home I have a 683 AH bank at 24V (4 x 6V at $1000 ea) in Rolls Surrette batteries. The Trojans are rated to last about 7 years and they are almost 9 yrs old, The Rolls Surrette batteries are rated for 12 yrs and they are only 1 yr old.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!