iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alder for Timberframing

Started by ztruck2000, April 17, 2003, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ztruck2000

I understand that alder is used in furniture, being a cheaper wood than maple.  Alder lying on the ground with its bark intact rots quickly, however, if debarked it resists rot and decay.  I have been hewing beams out of alder without too much effort by cross-cutting with a powersaw at one foot intervals and adzing off the wood in chunks.  I tried this procedure with fir; that was a different story.  It was hard work and the results were disapointing -- I switched to using an alaskan mill with pleasing results.  
Comparing the alder with fir as material for beams, I have discovered that some of the fir had decayed while the alder during the same period did not turn into mush.  Rather, the alder beams tended to split at the ends.
Does anybody have experience using alder and fir for beams?

sawinmontana

The fir you are referring to must be the same or similar to our sub-alpine fir. Around here people refer the them as pith fir, because thats what they smell like when you cut them. I know they rot very fast on the ground. I have cut a few 4x6 rafters out of the stuff, but the shed was roofed very quickly so they worked fine.

Scott

slowzuki

I think there must be different types of alders?  The largest diameter alder here in the maritimes is about 4".  Most are about 2 or 3" when they die.
Ken

Thank You Sponsors!