iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Controller for power feed motor on Hudson

Started by beerguy, August 28, 2003, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerguy

I just had my second motor controller go south, each operating for about 30-45 minutes. The factory says that the new one is an improved model. Anyone have a similar story?
Also, every time I need a part (warranty fix, the fourth problem I've had) they only send it UPS ground, so I am sitting on my thumbs for 8 days. I say if a guy drops 12 G's on a mill and it breaks every half hour, you should buck up another 12 dollars and try to keep him happy. I am losing patience with Hudson. I have only cut 4 10' logs, and have had 4 breakdowns >:(

Larry

Can't help with any advice on a Hudson but I can relate a warranty problem with my Kasco mill.

My hydraulic gauge for blade tension went out after 6 months.  Called Kasco and they said there was a problem with the gauge and they would ship me a new one.  I wasn't in any hurry but I was amazed when the UPS guy pulled into the drive 24 hours after I made the call with a new gauge, pre-addressed return box for the defective gauge, and said he would be back the next day to pick up the return box.  Don't know if that is their normal mode of operation as that was the only warranty problem I had with the mill but I was impressed. 8)

Think I would lean on Hudson a little bit and see if you can get a little faster shipping service.  Four breakdowns with four logs seems to be a little excessive to me. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jason_WI

Beerguy,

So what part smokes on the controller board? Is it an off the shelf controller? I doubt Hudson design's their own controller. Is there a name or model number on the controller. Also a part number off of the motor would help also to try to figur out whats going wrong.

We're here to help, just give us a little more info. You need to make Husdon aware that you are not a happy camper.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Fla._Deadheader

Beerguy, I built my mill and burned up the controller 4 times. It was always replaced, but, the problem was never solved. THEN, Jason got on the trail and in no time, problem solved.

Listen to him and do yer best to get the info he asked for. Good Luck.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beerguy

Thanks for the replies.
The controller is a Vexilar Motor Max. I looked inside, and nothing is smoked. It uses a LM556 dual timer, and a voltage comparator to make a squarewave generator with an adjustable duty cycle. One concern that I have is moisture. The Vexilar website says that it is moisture resistant, not moisture proof. The PCB has no coating on the solder side, so I will apply coating to the new one. We have LOTS of moisture in Western Washington. This unit is made for a marine application, so I am suprised that there is no environmental countermeasures. I will update the saga as it unfolds.

D._Frederick

beerguy,
Check your alternator, some times with heavy charge rate they produce some nasty spikes that can punch threw electronic components. If you can hear your engine with a AM radio, better have your alternator checked.

Jason_WI

Beerguy,

A transient voltage supressor can be added to the batt terminals on the controller if you think you have noise issues. They are called transorbs and you can get them from Digikey. A 30 volt transorb is where I would start if you have noise.

What is the failure mode?? No operation at all or does the motor go full speed with no control??

Moisture can affect electronics but usually it's over a period of time. If you think it is moisture then conformal coating would be the ticket.

Hudson may have chosen poorly when matching up a sutible controller for the motor.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

beerguy

There is a little gizmo on the battery, looks like it could be a suppression cap. It says "Short Top" and is rated 12V 50A. Would that be it?
The failure modes have been no speed/erratic speed, and full speed. One of each. If this thing turns into a speed control eater, I will watch for the pattern.
Fortunately, there is lots of PWM info on the web, plus you guys are obviously a great resource.
I had the first controller on the bench yesterday, and it looks like the comparator circuit is not working, it is not giving a squarewave.
I will report back. Thanks a bunch.

Thank You Sponsors!