iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing on LT40

Started by steveST, August 30, 2003, 04:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I have about 5 or 6 hundred feet of 8/4 that I need to resaw to 1". I do not have the resaw attachement for my mill.

Any tips on making it work well? Once it is set up, the cuts should all be the same. All the lengths are standard, but the widths are from 4-14".

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Fla._Deadheader

The Arkansawyer had a neat device. He used a kitchen counter top. Clamped it to the bed and then set the blade height. Had to hand feed.
  You could use a Particle board layout the same way. Screw an edge board to it, to hold the boards from sliding sideways.  I mention Particle board only because it will lay perfectly flat, and it has a smooth slick surface. Any thing that will lay flat and be smooth and durable would work.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Steve_M

Arky

Do you have a picture of your homemade resaw device?

Steve  
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

steveST

I noted in the Wood-Mizer info for the resaw attachement it says "not for commercial use". What the hey is that supposed to mean? Not heavy-duty enough? Doesn't work well enough? I would think that 95+% of users WOULD be commercial.

Percy

Just a guess but I think the reason they put that disclaimer on their resaw attachment is it wont correct boards that are wavey on the bottom like a belt type resaw does. When I have wavey boards(heh) I try to put them thru it wavey side up. The roller drive just follows the wave if you put them in waveyside down.  If you are resawing accurate lumber though, the attachment is most excellent. I have had one for about 6 and ahalf years and the thing has paid for itself about a hunert times. Resawing 2X6 at 30 ft per min(easy for 20 hp mill) =1500 btft per hour which includes a 10 miniute break for blade change and sawdust shoveling.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

My counter top re-saw got left in the rain while I was on the road and melted. :-[  That is a problem when it is not made with solid wood.  
  I made a new one out of 5/4 x 8 x12 ft pine board with a 1x3 backer and a 5/4 x4 clamp board.  It has a knotch cut out of the back for the blade when sawing low.   I planed the 5/4 x8 down to 1 inch  so my scale on the saw was just off by that amount.  I do not have a hold down for the lumber and if the boards are flat they will feed through just fine.   Two men can feed it through pretty fast.  Here we are putting 4/4 cedar through and making it 3/4 for a guy.
  It was simple to make and works great.  I keep it out of the rain.  It clamps on with the hydralic clamp and the thing stays flat.   I set the head and put a 16d nail in the chain behind the feed chain to keep the head in place.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Steve_M

Thanks ARKANSAWER that looks simple enough for even me to build :)
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

Thank You Sponsors!