iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Depot chainsaw sharpener

Started by albert001, May 31, 2019, 08:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albert001

I've been looking around at inexpensive chainsaw sharpeners and came across one at Home Depot for ~$35.00 (eBay - $31.00).

Made by Stark

7,500 RPM Portable Mini Electric Chainsaw Sharpener with Safety Guard

4-1/4 in. x 1/8 in. grinding wheels with 25/64 in. arbor spins at 7500 RPM

• 220-Watt mini electric chainsaw sharpener 120V, 60HZ, 220 Watts, ball bearing motor
  • Adjustable chain grinding angle between 0 and 30 for various sharpening needs

? ? ? any good ? ? ? for an inexpensive one for use around the home? 220 watts / 7500 rpms.

Uncertain if it's against the rules to post a link to it's users manual?

NOTE FROM ADMIN: LINKING TO OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED!

LeeB

A little different than the horrible freight one I have but not much. I rarely use it. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Well, even a cheap sharpening wheel will cost $14 or so, I would not expect too much from that unit. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gspren

Use that money to buy some good files and a file guide, don't be intimidated about filing, after you learn to file you won't want a cheap grinder. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

albert001

I'm also looking at the Oregon 310-120 and sharpeners that replace the Oregon 310-120 which run around $75.00.

Something came up on some property where were burning an old building and removing an ~18 foot fiberglass boat.

After looking at options the least expensive method to get rid of the boat is to cut it up into 4' or smaller sections and dispose of it at  a local  dump. The boat has no fluids, oil, fuel, etc. only an older Merc inboard / outboard motor.

Anyway we experimented cutting it with one of our chainsaws which goes through the wood and fiberglass very easily. Any metal pieces of the hull, etc. can be cut with a sawsall. 

However cutting through fiberglass and wood isn't quite the same as cutting a tree so some caution is required. A sharpener will help keep the chain sharp, while frequently checking for chain tightness.

ladylake

Get a knock off Oregon 511 for around $100 to $125, they work great and will make you through away any file.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Allar

I own an Oregon 511 clone.I have never managed to get my chains pull into the wood after sharpening with it...>:(
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

ladylake

Allar
   Either your rakers are too high or your not getting any hook on the cutters from not getting the wheel low enough when sharpening.   Mine cut as good or better than new after I sharpen them.  Get the wheel low enough so you have a good hook on the side plate. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Allar

Quote from: ladylake on May 31, 2019, 06:35:50 PM
Allar
  Either your rakers are too high or your not getting any hook on the cutters from not getting the wheel low enough when sharpening.   Mine cut as good or better than new after I sharpen them.  Get the wheel low enough so you have a good hook on the side plate. Steve
I use progressive raker gauge, so that's not an issue. I always go as deep as possible, so that's not an issue either.
It's one of those things that you do everything right but it still doesn't work out, driving me crazy... >:(

ladylake

Put up a side view of the teeth after you sharpen, it has to have a positive hook angle. Some of the low pro chains you have to profile the wheel almost to a point on the sharpening side to get that hook angle.  I've gotten chain in here sharpened at shop that had a negative hook and no will they pull into the wood or cut good like that.   Steve

Allar

Quote from: ladylake on June 01, 2019, 05:05:50 AM
Put up a side view of the teeth after you sharpen, it has to have a positive hook angle. Some of the low pro chains you have to profile the wheel almost to a point on the sharpening side to get that hook angle.  I've gotten chain in here sharpened at shop that had a negative hook and no will they pull into the wood or cut good like that.   Steve
I haven't sharpened with a grinder in a while. I'll try to find a trash chain tomorrow and sharpen one tooth on it.
Btw, the angles that i use are 30/55. I use a 1/8'' wheel on .325 chain. I used to use 3/16th but a guy that has the same grinder told me that he uses 1/8 with really good results.
>:( >:(

albert001

The Home Depot sharpener specs show

4-1/4 in. x 1/8 in. grinding wheels and 25/64 in. arbor delivers up to 7500 RPM

However I think for my Stihl MS-170 I'll need a 1/4 in. grinding wheel?

There is a Tecomec Electric Chainsaw Chain Grinder Bench Mounted Replaces Oregon 310-120 for $44.95.

Tecomec Sharp Boy - Includes (1) grinding wheel for 1/4", 3/8LP & .325 pitch saw chain

Manual Vise Clamp
RPM: 7000
75 Watt Motor
Sliding Vise: No
Pivoting Vise: No  

NOTE FROM ADMIN: LINKING TO OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED!

Allar

1/8 wheel should be the right one for ms 170. You can sharpen both 3/8lp and .325 pitch chains with it.

Ladylake here's the side view.

ladylake

Allar

You have a little hook on the side plate, not much.  Are you sure the wheel is hitting the top face of the tooth.  I'd profile the wheel a little on the raker side so you can get the wheel a little lower without getting into the links. Even with the wheel like it is you could go a little lower with the wheel. These grinders will make a chain cut real good.  Steve

Allar

Alber001, try to find one that looks like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-Earth-Series-Mountable-Bench-Top-Electric-Chainsaw-Sharpener-802610/302456782
It's basically oregon clone. 

Ladylake, yep the wheel is hitting the whole tooth.
I went as low as i could go this time.

55 degree.

50 degree.

caveman

Albert001, if you have electricity where the boat is, a circular saw and a carbide blade will break it down pretty quick.  I do not use my good Milwaukee saws for fiberglass but I keep an old Black and Decker for that purpose.  A cheap Tyvek suit will spare you some itching.  
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I swear by the little 12 v Oregon sharpener (Similar to a Dremel tool) with the little stones. It has alligator clamps that hook to the battery on my ATV, truck or mill. It has a built in angle guide so you can cut all teeth the same angle. Sthil makes a good one but the switch on their's is on the cord so need both hands to turn on and off while Oregon has the switch on the side of the box and you just flip it with your thumb. Also Sthil has special stones only available from them. Oregon uses anybody's stones - even the Sthil stones.

I just sharpen the chain on the saw in the woods or field when I am working. I think the last I bought (other than the $15 one at a flea market) they ran about $35 or so. You can buy different size stones for different size chains. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ladylake

Quote from: Allar on June 03, 2019, 08:51:38 AM
Alber001, try to find one that looks like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-Earth-Series-Mountable-Bench-Top-Electric-Chainsaw-Sharpener-802610/302456782
It's basically oregon clone.

Ladylake, yep the wheel is hitting the whole tooth.
I went as low as i could go this time.

55 degree.

50 degree.

Your hook angle on these  pic looks real good, rakers might be too hgh. Chain should self feed good with a good hook and rakers at 25 to 30 thousands  Steve

albert001

Here's a sharpener I found from eBay that's only $31.00. Specs show

Chain vise adjusts to all chain designs and pitches. Precision angle adjustment to keep your chain in top condition. Height and scale positioning.

Features:

• Includes 4-1/4'' x 1/8'' grinding wheel.
  • Mounts to bench, wall, or vise
  • Large side safety guard
  • 7500 RPM grinding speed
  • 25/64'' arbor
  • 120V, 60HZ, 220 Watts, ball bearing motor

albert001

Here's another one for $44.95

Tecomec Electric Chainsaw Chain Grinder Bench Mounted Replaces Oregon 310-120

The SHARP BOY grinder has friendly operator's features:

Easy to install and start
   Clamping vise ensures a professional grind.
   Same safety devices as larger chain grinders
   Chain clamping vise in best position for visibility and chain control and advancement.
   Includes (1) grinding wheel for 1/4", 3/8LP & .325 pitch saw chain
   Wheel Template
   Operators manual

Manual Vise Clamp
RPM: 7000
75 Watt Motor
Sliding Vise: No
Pivoting Vise: No 

I don't really want to spend more for a sharpener, however I would like to be able to perform different sharpening functions on each chain, which the more expensive sharpeners seem to be capable of performing

Allar

Well if i had to choose between those two.. I would go with tecomec.
I have no faith in that 30$ sharpener but the tecomec has the design of a 'pro' grinder, even thought it seems to be made of plastic completely. Not sure if you can adjust the head angle on that or is it fixed at 60 degree as most cheaper grinders.

albert001

I may try to find a more expensive sharpener, however I'm not quite certain what I should be looking for.

Some sharpeners have a reverse where you can change the direction of the motor. Also some have more options to set the sharpener's angles.

I did find a used Tecomec FL136 for $125.00 plus $59.00 shipping.

Magicman

This sharpener Timberline was recently discussed in this topic:  chain saw sharpener in Chainsaws 

I got one and it is truly a chain sharpening gem. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

If I were to get a machine, the Timberline is more interesting to me than an electric grinder. Can be easily used in the field, and it looks less finicky to setup. It might even be cost effective. $20 for a new cutter may be cheaper than files if they last a good while.

albert001

I have a Stihl MS 170 which I believe came with a 3/8" PMM3 chain.  The MS170 and  two additional chains are not here with me as I loaned it to a friend.

What size Timberline cutting bit would I need to purchase?

3/8″ Low Profile ( LP, PICCO, micro, mini)    Small  5/32″ ? (5/32" =  4.0 mm) ? ? ?

Other - 5/32 CHSW S/C - 5/32" Carbide Bit for TimberLine Saw Sharpener

• Item #: 13408379

• MPN: 5/32 CHSW S/C

How long do these cutting bits last?

Thank You Sponsors!