iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain angles

Started by luvmexfood, March 12, 2014, 07:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

If a saw is pulling to the right with different chains I know it could be my sharpening on each chain, the bar, or the sprocket. Assuming the bar and sprocket are okay and the angle of my HF grinder may be off a little which of the problem would be the culprit. Left side not at proper angle as in not as sharp as the right or vice-versa?

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sablatnic

If it turns right, the left hand cutters are bad, but first try to balance the bar on edge on the table. If it will fall easier to one side, the bar is bad too.

webgal

Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

jdhacker

If you are using a grinder both sides are probably sharp. make sure you are getting the same angle on both sides. Try flipping your bar over, when you take it off, clean it make sure the bar rails are flat and even. Also if you have one felling spike and are bucking good size wood, and you are using the spike to lean on the saw. You can sometimes make if cut off, because you can twist the saw in the cut. But the most common cause is, one side is sharper, or the angles are different from one side to the next.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

barbender

Or, the teeth can end up having more ground off on one side than the other. I have one of the HF grinders, I think you will have a tough time getting a chain to cut straight using it >:( Measure the length of the teeth to make sure you are grinding the same amount off of both sides.
Too many irons in the fire

John R

I had a bar that would almost cut a circle if you weren't careful.
Turns out the problem was the bar was wore more on one rail than the other,
Had the bar reground and it cuts straight again.

Not sure how, or why it wore like it did, but it was 1/8" different from rail to rail.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Thank You Sponsors!