iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ready to purchase - seeking advice

Started by mackelroy, September 25, 2014, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackelroy

Looking at buying a saw primarily for firewood. My dad, grandfather and all of my uncles have used Stihl saws over the years, so that's what I have experience with. Dad has been using a Stihl 270 with a 16-inch bar for better than a decade now with no problems ever. So I was pretty set on buying an MS271. Dealer support in my area is solid.

Then I made a mistake and did some searches and ended up here and on the other popular tree forum. That got me looking at a whole host of other saws, from Dolmars to Jonsereds to Echos. And, of course, Husqvarna. That brought to my attention the Husqvarna 545 and 550. The 545 can be had for a similar price as the MS271, with the 550 being a little more.

I know the Husky saws are pro saws and the Stihl is a farm/ranch saw. So I'm leaning Husky. We have a servicing dealer in my area. Good idea? Reliability is not a problem, assuming I do my part with care? For my modest purpose, is there a really compelling reason to go with the 550 over the 545? If it's going to be that much more worth it in terms of durability, I'd like to know. All of these saws are in my budget, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to spend at the top end of that budget if the 550 isn't the right saw.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any insight or perspective.

goose63

I like red so all my saws are Jonsred's have 5 of them
but all of the saws are good saws depends on what you want or need
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

John Mc

Can you give us an idea of what you are cutting, and how hard you are using it? Are you just cutting a few cords a year for yourself, or more than that?  What size wood are you typically cutting
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mackelroy

Yep. Missouri hardwoods. Lots of oak, plus hickory and elm, mostly. Majority of it  would be around 24". Couple or three cords, give or take, cutting with my dad and sharing with him, too. He would probably use about half the wood I would use. Does that help?

mad murdock

I would go with whatever gets you closest to 70cc and a 20-24" bar. Huskys are great saws, you will like it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

mackelroy
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

The saw is more about the dealer than the saw itself (IMO). All the saws are good, but all need good dealer support that you can rely on. And it is your money.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mackelroy

Thanks. Man, I don't think I need a 70cc saw for this work. I really think it's down to the 271, the 545 or the 550 for me. I'm leaning Husky because of the pro features. I'd have probably made the decision already, but I'm just not as familiar with the Husky saws as the Stihls. And if I go with the Husky, I'm struggling with which one. Thinking the 545 will do all I need, but...

Yggdrasil

The brand is a personal preference, sometimes a deeply held preference. 

As beenthere says, the saw's mechanic (you/dealer/a good shop) should be an important factor in your decision.  If you go with either Husky, what are your local shop's review ratings?

Since you a cutting up to 24" timbers, you should also consider murdock's suggestion on a saw that can handle a 20 - 24" bar and the power to go with it.

I use my Stihl 460 for bucking timbers, with that diameter, for firewood.

7sleeper

@mackelroy,

I would seriously consider a Echo 590 for your needs. Should have a bit more needed power, compared to a 50cc saw, for the type of wood you are cutting and the price is more than good at <400$! This is the "homeowner" version of the pro 600 version. There is enough info here and elsewhere to find out how good it is!

Between the 271 and 545(would exclude the 550 for a homeowner, the 550 is only for bragging rights!) it would be a no brainer to get the 545. Size and quality is in a different league.

JohnG28

If you're going to spend the money you'd be better suited to get at least 60cc. 50cc is going to leave you lagging a little. As was previously said,  I'll grab my 460 also if I have something 24" or thereabouts. For the money a Husky 365xt is about the best bang for the buck in that size saw, not a whole lot more than a 550xp and a lot more saw. 60cc is a nice happy medium between them, little more power than smaller saws and less weight than the larger. For most firewood duty my 361 gets most use, it's 59cc and just a great saw. Modern equivalent is the 362, which I haven't used but hear good about. The Echo 590 has had much talk lately and people are liking them I guess also. Lots of ways to go here!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

rburg

I have the Jonsered 2252 which is basically the same saw as the 545, and have been very happy with it.
If most of your wood cutting is in 24" wood, I would move up to at least a 60cc saw. The 555 husky should be a model I would consider. Good luck with your choice.

mackelroy

Local dealer has the Echo CS-590 with a 20-inch bar for $389, which includes a hard case. I think I'll go over there around lunch to have a look. Like most guys, I'm probably guilty of overestimating size a bit. As I look out at the wood we put up last year, the majority of it was well under 24". I know we felled some trees that were that size, but I misspoke when I said the majority would be in the 24" range.

Cornishman

Not sure over there but in the UK  a 365 is good value. I have Stihl and husky, both good brands but I always look forward to using the husky, just seems quicker and handles better IMO. Best dealer nearest you might decide which saw to chose. Good dealer service is a big plus.

luvmexfood

I've had my Echo 590 for about three weeks now. For the money in my opinion hard to beat. I do small scale logging and had been using an 029 to fall with. Yes it would put timber on the ground (eventually). By using the 590 as my main falling saw I have cut the falling time by 1/3.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

HolmenTree

If your going Husqvarna the 555 or better yet the 562XP is what I'd suggest.
But I have three 550XP's I supply for a speed cutting competition that I put on every February and they are solid strong little saws with 18" .325 chisel b/c.
One of the toughest 50cc saws I've run, rev boost is awesome for limbing.  8 hour a day logging saw for small timber with some  oversized hardwoods thrown in.
For a stock out of the box saw I can't think of a saw that can better it's ergonomics and power to weight ratio.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ed in idaho

i'd 2nd or third the idea of a 60 cc saw of your choice

Ed

mad murdock

I will amend my suggestion to align more to the revised info on your projected needs. If 24" hardwood is the exception rather than the rule, I would look at an Echo 590 with 20-22" b/c (narrow kerf) and not look back. It will be a serious working combo at that, most bang for your buck IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

CTYank

I'd add for your consideration the Dolmar PS-6100. Smooth, powerful "strato". Selling typically for ~$550. Easily handled a 24" full-comp noodling sugar maple, for a test.

Very broad, flat torque curve- very difficult to bog.

Everyone I've heard from that bought one, loves it.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!