iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cottonwood. Good for anything?

Started by trees, February 28, 2002, 06:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trees

I may be able to pick up some nice big sound cottonwood logs for free in a few months. 20 to 30 inchs by 12 to 20 feet long. Straight, no limbs. Nice. I know nothing about cottonwood. what does it look like sawn and what would it be good for? I'll be putting some wood paneling in a house in a few years. Would this stuff be suitable for making into that?Or what else?
Thanks, Steve.

Frank_Pender

Trees,  I have cut a rather large volume and found that horse people like it, as horses will not crib on Cottonwood.  It is tooooo bitter for their tastes.  Some furniture makers out here in Oregon have used it also.  Many coffens are made of a species of Cottonwood, which I do not know.  It is a very beautiful wood, that which I have sawn.  i have some in the yard that range from 5' to 6' in diameter.  Some are in the sizes you speek up also.  for the horses I would cut a full 2" x 6" board for the added strength it provides.   I would also suggest not cutting the lumber into very wide boards as this wood likes to cup and possibly twist with the thinner dimensions.  If you cut 5/4 I would stay at a width of 8" or less.  
Frank Pender

Jeff

We saw quite a bit of cottonwood. The majority goes for pallot stock. One thing to look out for in cottonwood is shake. Its quite prevelant. Sometimes the finest looking logs are worthless due to the grain seperation. I do think cottonwood is under rated. I would not hesitate to use it for construction purposes where it will be kept high and dry. Once dryed, your going to need to predrill in order to drive a nail!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trees

And grain separation?
Perhaps I'm over my head with this cottonwood when I can get oak, ash, cherry logs pretty cheaply too.

Advice?

Thanks.

Jeff

You can see the shake in the cottonwood once they are cut. look for the seperations between growth rings. Its usually clearly visible there. You probably cant tell it in standing timber.

Heck, you said they were free? Long as you don't have to commit to taking them before they are cut and you can inspect them. Free is free, and there is nothing wrong with sound cottonwood.

Here is a link with working properties and uses.

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_guide/display_species.asp?species=cottonwood
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trees

A wealth of information from you all.
The logs are free but free is a relative term. It will take a day of my time to pick them up and oak, cherry and ash are closer and cheap and will cost the same to have sawn. So.... well we will see.

Thanks again for all the help. This is a wonderful place to visit and the advice is very much appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!