iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The time has come...to say HELLO!

Started by VB-Milling, April 28, 2021, 12:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Good day all!

I've been lurking and learning for about 6 months.  I've read some very helpful information here and I wanted to say thank you for the knowledge base of the membership and the efficient administration of the forum itself.

Been corresponding with @btulloh about Woodland Mills as he is a few hours from my location in VA and we hit it off pretty rapidly.   Have been looking at an HM126 since Sept 2020.  Probably should have just pulled the trigger then as now the backorder has been pushed out to 31 Aug 2021.  Not in any sort of rush.  Hobby mill size for casual milling for my own use.  Getting really tired of CSM'ing and I'm not getting any younger.  I have a small yard in the suburbs with no powered equipment.

I don't have anything specific to discuss, but I felt like it was time to speak up and say hello.  Clearly, a great group of friendly, knowledgeable people and there's no reason for me to be worried about not being welcomed even though I "just" CSM....at least, for now  smiley_roller

Eric Z
HM126

Durf700

welcome sir!  this is a great resource and full of a great group of guys to help out with your new passion!

making your own lumber is very rewarding!

Magicman

Welcome Eric, and you already seem to know your way around quite well.  Remember that the only "dumb" question is an "unasked" question.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VB-Milling

Quote from: Magicman on April 28, 2021, 01:52:03 PM
Welcome Eric, and you already seem to know your way around quite well.  Remember that the only "dumb" question is an "unasked" question.
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions eventually.  Dumb or otherwise  :D
Quote from: Durf700 on April 28, 2021, 01:39:32 PM
welcome sir!  this is a great resource and full of a great group of guys to help out with your new passion!

making your own lumber is very rewarding!

Thanks for the welcome.  Been CSM'ing for about 2 years, which means I've only just begun actually using my own lumber, and, yes, it is very rewarding.  I am very much looking forward to sliding the first board off a bandsaw mill when the time comes.

HM126

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VB-Milling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VB-Milling

Quote from: Chuck White on April 28, 2021, 02:38:12 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VB-Milling!
Thanks!  Good to be here.

Quote from: Jeff on April 28, 2021, 03:09:20 PM
Welcome. :)

Thanks for making a place for me to go!
HM126

VB-Milling

Who doesn't like pics?!!?!

A few pictures of my CSM'ing setup and my little slice of backyard I have to do milling in general.  I've been looking at ways to maximize material handling, stacking and waste processing.  I think I have most of it figured out.  A few steps closer to a BSM.

The early days of driveway milling right on the trailer. Cherry from a neighbor.

Built myself a slabbing table. Thankfully, this was a couple years ago before lumber prices went skyhigh.

Promptly filled it up and didn't have room to mill on it LOL

Emptied it, palletized the stacks, moved the table closer to the fence and then filled it up again!

In the meantime, acquired too many logs for my narrow sideyard

Got things clean up a bit.  I think the BSM would have to go near the gable.

My "log hauler"

And then it all seems worth it!

HM126

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

slider

Welcome you have come to a great place.
al glenn

firefighter ontheside

Welcome aboard VB.  I've learned a ton here  and I'm always happy to share what I've learned here and elsewhere.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

VB-Milling

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 28, 2021, 04:34:45 PM
That's a nice setup.  Welcome.  

Thank you.  Its a work in progress, always evolving.  My wife makes fun of me because I'm perpetually reorganizing the sideyard, the shed, my woodshop, my sock drawer etc....

Quote from: slider on April 28, 2021, 04:44:34 PM
Welcome you have come to a great place.
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 28, 2021, 04:48:22 PM
Welcome aboard VB.  I've learned a ton here  and I'm always happy to share what I've learned here and elsewhere.  

Thank you. Definitely a great place!  I've been getting lost for the last 6 months in post after post, not remembering how I went down the link-clicking rabbit hole.  Happy to be learning from everyone.

HM126

trimguy

Welcome, this is a great place to learn and to just come hang out and forget the troubles of the day. Or so I've heard. 😁

VB-Milling

Quote from: trimguy on April 28, 2021, 05:21:30 PM
Welcome, this is a great place to learn and to just come hang out and forget the troubles of the day. Or so I've heard. 😁
Thank you! Easy enough to forget what time it is too  :D
HM126

Cedarman

Welcome VBmilling,
The Sawmill and Logging show will be in Richmond near the end of May.  Great place to buy some tools and meet some FF members.  Loaders run and saws buzz.  Big equipment and little stuff too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

VB-Milling

Quote from: Cedarman on April 29, 2021, 07:08:05 AM
Welcome VBmilling,
The Sawmill and Logging show will be in Richmond near the end of May.  Great place to buy some tools and meet some FF members.  Loaders run and saws buzz.  Big equipment and little stuff too.

Thanks for the welcome and the info.  I looked it up and its May 21-22 so I'll see about taking the drive.  Would be great to meet up with some FF members IRL and make some local contacts.
HM126

samandothers

Welcome to the FF it is a great place to learn for sure.   
You have quite the set up there in a small space.  It must be hard to accomplish your work but you are doing great!

VB-Milling

Quote from: samandothers on April 29, 2021, 10:23:13 AM
Welcome to the FF it is a great place to learn for sure.  
You have quite the set up there in a small space.  It must be hard to accomplish your work but you are doing great!

Appreciate the welcome.  It'll be interesting to add a hobby sized BSM into the space and the workflow.
HM126

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia! Thanks for sharing your milling adventure.

VB-Milling

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 29, 2021, 11:04:31 AM
Greetings from Nova Scotia! Thanks for sharing your milling adventure.

Greetings back to you sir!  Funny enough, the area I live in is commonly referred to by locals as "Hilltop".
HM126

VB-Milling

Did some CSM'ing today.  Got frustrated, and nearly ordered a bandsaw mill.  One day I'll click through the order page....one day!

HM126

VB-Milling

I'm curious how realistic all the mill manufacturers estimated shipping dates are...I know it would mostly be speculation, but I'd love some feedback from the membership.  Maybe some feedback from some of the manufacturers.
HM126

btulloh

Many people are reporting delivery of their mills is ahead of the predicted schedule.  Seems like lead times are being quoted with a little cushion.  It's always better to get something quicker than predicted.  It's hard enough waiting it out and pushing the delivery date back only makes it worse.  
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: btulloh on May 03, 2021, 09:19:57 AM
Many people are reporting delivery of their mills is ahead of the predicted schedule.  Seems like lead times are being quoted with a little cushion.  It's always better to get something quicker than predicted.  It's hard enough waiting it out and pushing the delivery date back only makes it worse.  

That's good to hear Bob.  I've always subscribed to the "under promise, over deliver" philosophy.

I was on the Woodland Mills page again this morning.  Nothing in my cart this time though....I'll get there eventually!

The predicted/foreshadowing of a surplus of lightly used hobby mills in the next year or 2 is giving me pause because I'm frugal.  The want/desire/need is now though....tough to balance the two rationales
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!