iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The time has come...to say HELLO!

Started by VB-Milling, April 28, 2021, 12:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Too bad mill manufacturers don't accept crypto....

:)
HM126

Rybot

Welcome! I am new here as well but have found everyone here very helpful and friendly.  ;D

VB-Milling

My tree service friend dropped off some white oak today.  I won't tell him, but I think all but the large diameter log will get bucked up and split for firewood.

Thinking the large diameter log will be a good test bed for my new bar, chain and hand crank setup.  I can mill it up in the driveway and save myself having to move it to the backyard.  Got the chains today ,hand crank is finished and wound with paracord, just waiting on the bar.  More to come...

HM126

Tacotodd

Just remember that with chainsaw milling especially, "their is no replacement for displacement". Especially that big wood will take time and sharp chain. Be patient....blah, blah, blah.
Trying harder everyday.

VB-Milling

Ok, I did it finally!  After months of paralysis through analysis, I ordered a Woodland Mills HM126, 14hp motor, a track extension, the mill cover and a spare parts kit.  Email confirmation put that 31 August ship date on it that has been so popular lately.
HM126

btulloh

HM126

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jpassardi

Looks like you have neighbors nearby - they will prefer the mill to the chainsaw mill also due to much less decibels!
Bandsaw to CSM is night and day, you won't be disappointed.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

trimguy

Congratulations, I'm sure you will be happy you did !

maple flats

Welcome to the list of future Woodland Mill BSM's, I also ordered one, projected to ship 8/31/21. I didn't order the parts kit but I did order the blade sharpener and their tooth setter. The parts kit in a year or 2 maybe. I ordered the HM130Max, just 4" cut bigger than the 26.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

VB-Milling

Been a month already since I ordered the HM126...three more to go!

In the meantime, I've been looking at used boat trailers to modify and mount the mill to...sub $500 category.  Not to trailer it. More because I can't decide on where to setup the mill in my small sideyard.  Lots of time left to think of a solution; I'm sure one will present itself.
HM126

mike_belben

Youre gonna need a bigger truck and trailer.  For when your marriage to that new sawmill causes you to pack up and move to the country.  ;D

Welcome to FF, sorry im late to the party
Praise The Lord

Les Staley

VB-Milling,  I pulled the trigger on my HM126 March 7, 2021 and got it almost two months to the day from ordering.  

Very happy with my choice of mills,  learning more every time I fire it up.  Have milled a few 2"X6"s,  some 4X4s for a neighbor to build a porch.   I'm totally alone at my property, as in No Helper, so it took me a couple  weeks to assemble, adjust and get going.  

Welcome to the forum, but I see u were here first.
East Jordan Michigan, Pinedale Wyoming and St Maries Idaho.  Honey, I'm HOME!

VB-Milling

Quote from: mike_belben on June 07, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
Youre gonna need a bigger truck and trailer.  For when your marriage to that new sawmill causes you to pack up and move to the country.  ;D

Welcome to FF, sorry im late to the party

You are spot on Mike.  I've got to stay put until the young one is of college age, but I've been looking for some property within 90 or so miles where I can put up a small mill shed and a tent eventually LOL

Thanks for the welcome!

HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: Les Staley on June 07, 2021, 10:37:25 AM
VB-Milling,  I pulled the trigger on my HM126 March 7, 2021 and got it almost two months to the day from ordering.  

Very happy with my choice of mills,  learning more every time I fire it up.  Have milled a few 2"X6"s,  some 4X4s for a neighbor to build a porch.   I'm totally alone at my property, as in No Helper, so it took me a couple  weeks to assemble, adjust and get going.  

Welcome to the forum, but I see u were here first.
Thanks Les!
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that the 4 month wait time is the absolute worst case scenario and I'll see it sometime in late July or early August.
HM126

VB-Milling

Time for a bit of an update.  Things have been progressing while waiting on the mill to arrive.  Date is still 31 August 2021, which means I have waited a grand total of 7 weeks LOL

Ordered up 2 boxes of Kasco blades from @Cutting Edge yesterday.  The race is on to see whether the blades or the mill arrive first  :D  Really great talking to Richard.  Lots of good info.

Scored one of the factory seconds 60" cant hooks from @logriteofficial today that should be shipping soon as well as a couple pairs of gloves that people seem to like.  Thank you Logrite.  @thecfarm should be happy!

Got a couple inexpensive trailers that I'll be using to build a mill trailer.  Mostly so I don't have to decide where to put the mill permanently.  It may see pavement in the distant future.  We'll see.  Maybe when I tow it to that country property @mike_belben has been talking about ;D

Still got much to do to re-arrange the small side yard to be ready for the mill.  I think I have the general layout.  Actually been thinking about going to pay @Southside a visit and purchasing enough artificial turf to cover that area thinking it'll make millings cleanup easier and keep the weeds between the log piles at bay.  Side yard is only 40x18ft maybe ???  I don't have any heavy equipment that would tear it up.  Not sure...kicking the idea around and open to a constructive discussion.

Got about 9 more weeks of waiting, but it'll go by quickly I'm sure.  I stay pretty busy at work and at home.
HM126

thecfarm

I betcha you will be happier than me when you are using that Logrite.    ;D    logrite_cool
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VB-Milling

Got an email today from woodland mills that my order is being processed and I should expect a call from the freight company withing 4 weeks. If that's the case, it would be about 3 weeks earlier than quoted. That would be nice!

Good thing I already started my trailer build.
HM126

VB-Milling

Its been two weeks and no update on shipment unfortunately, but the trailer build has been progressing daily.  Got the trailer jacks on one side welded up and one removeable fender fabricated.

If I plan to load the trailer from the same side with ramps and a post winch, should I even bother to make both fenders removeable ??????

HM126

VB-Milling

Also, I have 2.5" DOM, 0.125" wall set aside to make up ramps.  They are 6ft long.  I'm starting to think they are undersized and I should just use them for another project and make 4x4 wooden ramps.  I've seen threads with both steel and wood ramp solutions.

To anyone with steel or wood ramps, do you wish you had the other and why?

To answer some possible follow-up questions, I don't have the space at this time for a log deck and I don't have any support equipment for loading.  The current best option appears to be loading ramps and post winch.

HM126

btulloh

Use 4x4's and save the dom. It's a bit light for ramps, plus that stuff costs too much to waste on ramps, unless DOM grows on trees down there.  

Gettin' closer to d-day!  You'll be sawing before long!
HM126

VB-Milling

No DOM trees that I'm aware of, but I'll keep an eye out LOL  :D

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Bob.

The DOM would be better off as part of a log arch, but lets get sawin' first before I delve into that project.

Any thoughts on the removeable fenders?

HM126

btulloh

I'm not qualified to speak on fenders since I'm stationary. My guess is the one on the same side as the backstops wouldn't be in the way. I'm guessing you plan on loading from the right side of the mill so the fender on that side could be in the way. The wheel on that side will probably annoy you too, until you get used to walking around it. 

You'll probably make changes and tune your setup as you get some experience. Material handling and work flow take some time to get right and it all needs to suit you and your workspace.  All part of the fun. 
HM126

DesertHobo

One reason I've found for dual removable fenders, instead of just the one on loading side, is in case you forget to put the log rests up while loading the mill. Quick way to possibly damage a fender (to go along with freshly wounded pride while getting the log back onto the mill). I'm sure there are other, better reasons besides forgetfulness. If you're making your own, I'm sure you could make a heavy duty fender that would pass that test.

JRWoodchuck

If you do end up milking at different sites it's really nice to be able to load logs from both sides of the mill. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Thank You Sponsors!