iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new old toy today

Started by 97redjeep, October 25, 2020, 12:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97redjeep

Picked up a older king Canada benchtop planer today, I can feel the projects building up already  ;D

Just need a jointer and table for my router and I'll be set. And maybe a bandsaw :)
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

firefighter ontheside

YEah, a planer is a very valuable tool.  I had a planer long before I had a jointer.  You don't realize how much you've missed a jointer til you have one.  Love my bandsaw too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

There are some really good router tables & kits out there nowdays. Mine came from a Highlands Hardware Kits longtime back but I see even better stuff now. It has concrete blocks underneath for weight stability. I never pull the router off that table as lots of ebay, etc. routers for hand work. 
Planer is essential for me but in the beginning a jointer was a get by tool that evolved from a 6" Craftsman to an 8" big fellow. They work together in tandem to create a usable board for furniture work unless your into hand planing/jointing :D 
Bandsaws are essential to wood lathes and beyond. 
Might want to look at an adjustable frame wheel kit for your planer? I have wheels on TS, planer and bandsaw along with my wood working bench. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

97redjeep

This stand is on wheels, and I'm liking it for ease of storage. It isn't adjustable but at 6'3" I don't mind it being high lol the day I got this planer there was a Jointer for sale also, I missed it though,  my wife saw it on Facebook and I don't have it ha ha Ha when I called back it was already spoken for. There was a whole pile of stuff for sale, it was a liquidation an old timer had passed away and they needed to get the shop Empty as soon as possible, there was a really nice lathe as well but it was spoken  for, I forget the make but it's all 3 of us could do to get it in the truck, it reminds me of a lathe in my school woodwork class. I did however get a good score on a few clamps for $10. I asked how much and they said $2 each, there was only a half dozen on the wall, I said no I'll give you $50. Continued looking around and decided I should go, went to pay them and they'd only take $10 for all the clamps. 

doc henderson

nice score, and way to treat people redjeep.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

By "adjustable", what I meant is that there are rolling stands with lockable casters made for stationary machines. They all have steel angle sides with rows of holes to adjust for a range of machine base sizes. Come in a couple of sizes.
They contain the machine base within the angle steel and have rocker action on one set of wheels to keep a machine in place. Not a simple rolling base which obviously does work but lacks what the designed gizmos provide. ;D
Clamps like the steel I-beam Jorgensons are no longer made and high cost to ship ebay old ones. Mine are a gold mine of sorts.
Sort of like the clamp deal above, I sold a woman a table recently @ $350 and she handed me $50 too much based on the FB price in my ad. Id given her a comedown price over the phone.
I think it sort of embarrassed her when I handed back the 50$ bill but not much other choice really. 

firefighter ontheside

Good deal.  You can never have too many clamps, but you can run out of room to keep them.  I buy most of my clamps at auction.  I have about 8 fancy parallel clamps that I got at auction, but I actually prefer to use the pipe clamps.  I have lots of those and many lengths, plus I use threaded couplings to make them longer if I need to.  They are easier to operate than the parallel clamps too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Wall space is lacking in my shop so I went up:

This is an old set of pictures.  It is completely full and doubled up on some of the hooks.  And still not enough!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

Good idea John.  Make use of all usable space.  My ceiling is too high in the shop to do that, but it gives me an idea.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

97redjeep

Ljohnsaw , that is a good idea, I'm in the same boat as firefighter, 18' ceiling, eventually I plan on building a mezzanine in the shop and that'd save me some space! 

Played with the planer a bit more, saves a lot of sanding lol 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 97redjeep on November 01, 2020, 04:48:58 PMI'm in the same boat as firefighter, 18' ceiling

I wish!  Maybe that's why my cabin is going to have the basement with 10' ceiling.  My shop is terraced, I've got 3 levels with a total length about 28' and 16' wide.  Lowest has about ~9' ceiling, next is about 7'6"' and then down to 6'4" or so - that's where the clamps are hanging.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

97redjeep

Got some more playing done today   I should have bought one of there a long time ago hahaha 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: kantuckid on October 30, 2020, 08:17:56 AM
By "adjustable", what I meant is that there are rolling stands with lockable casters made for stationary machines. They all have steel angle sides with rows of holes to adjust for a range of machine base sizes. Come in a couple of sizes.
They contain the machine base within the angle steel and have rocker action on one set of wheels to keep a machine in place. Not a simple rolling base which obviously does work but lacks what the designed gizmos provide. ;D
Clamps like the steel I-beam Jorgensons are no longer made and high cost to ship ebay old ones. Mine are a gold mine of sorts.
Sort of like the clamp deal above, I sold a woman a table recently @ $350 and she handed me $50 too much based on the FB price in my ad. Id given her a comedown price over the phone.
I think it sort of embarrassed her when I handed back the 50$ bill but not much other choice really.
I got mine from Uline, only not to mount machines, no holes pre-drilled. Mine has no lip on the top shelf, so stuff can be slid off or used as a bench. But built like a tank and will out last 3 generations. Holds 2500 lbs, I think that will do. :D Right now I store my whole house AC on it for winter, can slide it on and roll away.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 31, 2020, 12:02:20 PM
This is an old set of pictures.  It is completely full and doubled up on some of the hooks.  And still not enough!
Yup, can always use more clamps. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Google "adjustable machine bases" and their are many brands and price points. My e.g. is a base that the machine stays on, is low to the floor and becomes mobile to free up floor space but can be locked in place. 
The only pipe clamps I use are a couple not often employed that are longers than my "I" beam crank handle clamps. In a perfect world a board joined exactly, etc. a twist handle clamp work fine but I like acme threads and a crank handle other than my large stash of the new style one handed, reversabile to a spreader, squeeze clamps. FWIW, avoid those low quality ones sold by HF like the plague! I tried a couple and found them to have loosened their force overnight-a nono in glue ups. I like Wolfcraft best of all those squeezers but all the name brands in the heavier ratings are VG.  

97redjeep

Been a while since I posted, milled up some good sized Bug kill pine the other day and the work began haha I'm really liking how the table turned out

97redjeep

Phenoix66

Great tool! These old planers are of top build quality! Most new products don't even come near!

Thank You Sponsors!