iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 51 vs 353 ?

Started by John Mc, December 08, 2009, 01:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Is a Husky 353 more or less the modern day equivalent of a Husky 51? If I'm looking at two used saws which appear to be in similar condition, is there a reason to prefer one over the other, other than price? The 51 is older, but was owned and lightly used by a guy with a reputation for being a real stickler for caring for all his equipment properly.

Will be used for limbing, and for felling and bucking smaller hardwoods (mostly 10" or less, occasional 12") for firewood, by a young lady in good shape, but who does not want to lug a heavier saw.

Any comments appreciated.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

The 353 is a tad lighter, has a tad more power, handles better for limbing etc, and has much better AV!    :)
Information collector.

John Mc

Thanks, Saw Troll. That's the kind of info I was hoping to get.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

firtree

And if you replace the muffler on a 353 with a non-cat version, clip the carb
adjustment tabs and tweak the mixture it gets a very good power boost.

John Mc

Quote from: firtree on December 16, 2009, 03:03:14 PM
And if you replace the muffler on a 353 with a non-cat version, clip the carb
adjustment tabs and tweak the mixture it gets a very good power boost.

Yeah, I did that on my Jonsered 2152, based on the recommendations of several people here. Made a big difference, and it runs a lot cooler.

John Mc

Thank You Sponsors!