iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on April 13, 2021, 12:34:25 PM
Neat, do you push to keep out of streams or powerlines or?  Just curious as to the use cases.
All the above reasons or sometimes there's no lay for something and you need it go way from the lean. Another reason you would use them is size of the tree if you get into that 250' plus range yes a wedge can move them but not as effectively as a jack can. There's also times cutting hazard trees that are dead you don't want the shaking of the limbs or top that a jack seat can save your bacon.

Skeans1

@Iwawoodwork 
I've seen a set of those old girls most of them had 288 husky powering them they sure speed up the process. This set isn't quite as big as the old Silvey Tree Savers that were 125 tons this set of Borntrager are 102 which should do everything I'm doing. Like the Silvey's they can have up to 6 rams tagged off that pump set for 306 tons of lift. We've still got some big girls down in some holes that will require both rams probably in the 6' range with limb weight all the wrong direction like the old growth always was.

stanmillnc

Milled some prime red oak logs for a customer recently - he wanted a mix of wide slabs and quartersawn. All logs pushed the max capacity of my mill, and had tremendous fleck. This center slab was ~28" wide. Thankfully he brought a helper to handle these heavy monsters. 

Iwawoodwork

Those Gas powered tree jacks also worked great for house leveling. I borrowed a set  from Weyco with 4 jacks and leveled a large 3 story victorian house adding new posts and treated beams,  got all of the beams and treating donated, was a volunteer job for a womens crisis center. Sure wish I had bee awake when Weyco closed out the cutting crew, maybe could have purchase a set. would have made a great press among other uses.

BargeMonkey

Done cleaning up junk, got 50 cord of seasoned firewood, not much good pine. Come in with 2 excavators and start the process of making a moon crater. 

Took her and the 648 back up on the mountain, probably 30lds to clean up there and move again to that hammer job. 

I knew i was overdue for a hose. 😆 

Well boys he sent her just a little to hard bub 😆😆😆.... guy smoked a bridge on the Northway this morning with an 80' JLG boom lift like mine, what happens when you have truck drivers with an IQ of 60. 🤷‍♂️ 

millions of dollars, they are literally ripping it down tonight, that would put the average guy right out of business. He had to be 15' 🤷‍♂️ 

mike_belben

Bet that $200 heightstick looks like a bargain now that his insurance agent is looking for clauses to dump him.  No permit or off route or what?
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Local rental company, normally wouldn't have been over height or width, just someone not paying attention. 

barbender

As much as I hate to admit it, one time I came out of a pit with my box straight up in the air with an end dump. I was dumping stump removals that had got hung up in my gate, had to get out and fight one. Threw me out of my routine and I forgot to throw my PTO out when I took off, I think the box crept back up but who knows? All I know for sure is I got out to the highway, sitting right under the high tension power line, and another company's truck went by with the driver looking at me like I had 3 heads. I'm thinking, "what's his problem?", looked in the mirror and saw those naked duals. My heart jumped right up into my throat! Nothing harmed but my pride, but that was a big bite of humble pie right there!
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Friend of mine was running himself ragged barge style, rammed a bridge with his dumpster truck and ate the windshield pretty good. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Not huge but enough back lean away from the only lay that would save it out some.

Trackerbuddy

Truck brige collisions aren't that rare.  It's not the oversized load but unsecured loads. My neighbor had an unsecured crane boom hit a bridge. Insurance company dumped him and he went out of business. A coil of steel broke loose on I75 south and took out some bridge pillars like bowling pins

Wudman

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 14, 2021, 08:26:14 PMWell boys he sent her just a little to hard bub 😆😆😆.... guy smoked a bridge on the Northway this morning with an 80' JLG boom lift like mine, what happens when you have truck drivers with an IQ of 60.

That happened on the road that I live on a few years back.  The 4 lane goes under us.  One of the local sawmills had a forklift on a lowboy.  It was cold and the thing didn't like to start, so they left it running.  Going down the road, they were getting enough blow-by on a valve that the boom extended.  They stuck the forks through 2 concrete girders under the bridge.  I had a 14 mile detour for a couple of years while they repaired that bridge.  Then our  brilliant engineers decided that the bridges over the bypass were all too low.......so they commenced to raising and replacing each one by 18 inches.  That was five bridges in total.  The only problem.....the bridge carrying the railroad on the eastern end of the bypass was the lowest one to begin with and still is (It was not touched).  Headed west it is the first one you get to on a restricted access highway.  Our government at work.  I was telling one of my loggers that I wouldn't have raised the bridge.  I would have cut the road down under it.  He said we need some folks like you in Richmond. :-\

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Ljohnsaw

A few years ago, we had the "raise the bridge" project here on I-80 through the Sierras.  I believe the new standard is 17'?  Anyhow, the cut the legs off about 7 bridges, jacked them up and filled in the gaps.  At times were it was too risky to keep the road open (actual lifting) they had a 60 to 90 minute detour through the middle of the night.  Very windy and sometimes steep road for the truckers.

Anyhow, one bride is a curve and climbs.  One side of I-80 was way taller than needed so they decided to dig the road down on the shorter side.  Got it done pretty quickly but when they put the top coat on the road, was too high (to low of a bridge) so they did it again.  Practice makes perfect, right! ;)  Further up the hill, they didn't raise one bridge quite enough so it has the max height sign of something like 16' 10".
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

Quote from: Wudman on April 15, 2021, 10:31:18 AMOur government at work.  I was telling one of my loggers that I wouldn't have raised the bridge.  I would have cut the road down under it. 
me too but that may not generate enough of a paper trail to tack on enough pork for the "capital partners" satisfaction.  got reelection to think of. 
Praise The Lord

Iwawoodwork

Lets put the blame where it belongs, the project engineers.  I don't know of a politician that has designed a project, and don't think I would want one to. The legislators only pass approval for the proposed projects. On a local area level though I have heard of the road/street which a county commissioner lives quickly getting paved.

newoodguy78

Was on a job one time and a brand new one piece fiberglass shower unit came up for grabs. One of the guys was building his own house and grabbed it . On the way home he went under a real low railroad bridge, successfully smashing it right in half. Couldn't have happened to a better guy ;)

Kodiakmac

Here is what I was into before half loads came on in early March.  White cedar and assorted hardwoods: maple, white ash, birch, basswood, and some bigtooth aspen.

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Oliver05262

I wondered if someone would post about that exit 9 accident. One of the pictures on the news clearly shows the 14' 4" sign on the girder. That's a bit more than the normal 13'6" isn't it? How many wires did he get before he even got on the Northway?
 Just glad nobody got hurt. I went north yesterday and got off in Clifton Park. I had not heard about the wreck, and the lift debris was pretty much cleaned up when I went by. Looked like just another work zone from my side. I wondered about the steady stream of trucks headed south on rt 9........
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

quilbilly

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on April 15, 2021, 11:54:32 AM
Lets put the blame where it belongs, the project engineers.  I don't know of a politician that has designed a project, and don't think I would want one to. The legislators only pass approval for the proposed projects. On a local area level though I have heard of the road/street which a county commissioner lives quickly getting paved.
I don't know of a politician who designed a project per se but, I do know of politicians who have interfered in projects bc they didn't like the way they were going.
When the original hood canal bridge was going in it was designed to go from the very end of the toandos peninsula and then connect to the kitsap peninsula, as this was the shortest crossing. A state politician had his way to force the bridge further north to a wider point on hood canal so that it would then be the longest floating bridge in the world. 
a man is strongest on his knees

BargeMonkey

Done. Pull the saw and skidder tomorrow, loaders going to the shop for a driveshaft so that can sit a little while. 

Got a honest 4-5" up at the house, down in the valley at the store its just enough to make everything white but still snowing pretty good. 

mike_belben

As the "contractor liason" for outside vendors hired to do sub work at the plant, i worked with and coordinated with outside ironworkers, concrete crews, crane outfits, hvac companies etc etc. but had next to no influence on who got chosen for big projects.  I still was incorrectly perceived to have some influence.  That perception brought a lot of nice free trinkets, swag, coffee and such.  i took 2 families to see the sox for free.  People above me accepted some real nice christmas cards if you know what i mean.  

Corruption is always seeking a yes man, its just part of the world.  The best contractors dont have to pass money envelopes around to get the gig. Subpar ones do, and get the gig often.  I guess none of us can really know how that big $ project spoken of earlier got bungled but it seems like they do pretty often.  New hampshire has a pretty fitting "bridge to nowhere."
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Glad to see things are moving along Barge! Also glad the Timbco is back up and hacking. Things are moving on my end slower than I'd like (academics have no sense of time). I'll give you a call when things get firmer. I've already arranged for a tractor, trailer, and driver. Working on a helper or two. More when I know it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nativewolf

A very few were ok, still too much sapwood.  27" at 10' outside bark .  Left it long we'll see what veneer buyer says
Liking Walnut

ehp

NW, that would be normal to good here on sap wood , We donot get good walnut with small sap most times

nativewolf

Ed, we have some with 1/2" sap, I am in a hole but maybe tomorrow I can upload a pic
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!