iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build (first try)

Started by Vautour, August 16, 2019, 07:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vautour

First log on my log arch... 24'' at the butt at 20' long...could'nt pick up the full length at 42 feet.. was lifting the back off my jeep... but very satisfied of solidarity of my build

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

thecfarm

Get a bigger Jeep. :D
Looks like it works!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

Good looking arch.  Around the yard, It will work with a riding lawn mower.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dana Stanley

Nice job! I have some 3"sch 80 pipe I was thinking of making one out of. I will definitely glean some ideas from yours. Can you post more pics, of the winch setup, and the adjustable log stop. It looks like that keeps the log level?
So what are the particulars? Sizes etc.
I think you meant solidness!

sol·i·dar·i·ty
/ˌsäləˈderədē/
noun

1.unity or agreement of feeling or action, especially among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Old Greenhorn

Beautiful work, I am in envy. Lovely job. If you could throw up some more photos, I would love to see the detail of how you did the ale mounts to the frame and what type of axles you use.
 Very nice work. I am also interested in your lifting design.
 Nicely done. 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Vautour

...hi guys...added a few more detailed pics as requested..Greenhorn  the rear axle is from a Caravan with the leaf springs and gives it a nice 6"x6" platform with 4bolt holes to attache my arch(with welded plate)..... the winch is a two stage welded to the front makes an easy access to crank...i can change the pulleys location also.. for the smaller logs i'll put the cable in the middle location and choke on the cable... for larger logs i'll put the cable on the side location a attache the hook to the frame instead(like in the photo)..Stanley.. my arch is probably 2.5" scd 80 pipe..and plenty solid..i have 36"between the wheels and is about 10' long on the inside..i put the middle log stop/holder about 6' from the back for picking up 8' logs.. the yellow strap is for the holding the log up to take pressure of the winch in the transporting .... solidness it is haha :D    

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Dana Stanley

What's the hook next to the rear pulley for? You have some neat little features like the lug wrench holder! You are definitely gaining solidarity of interest. ;D 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

OffGrid973

Only thing better would have been a teaser thread but this is wonderful.  Thread execution and build were 100%
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Ea$y Money

Quote from: Vautour on August 17, 2019, 07:04:04 PM

...hi guys...added a few more detailed pics as requested..Greenhorn  the rear axle is from a Caravan with the leaf springs and gives it a nice 6"x6" platform with 4bolt holes to attache my arch(with welded plate)..... the winch is a two stage welded to the front makes an easy access to crank...i can change the pulleys location also.. for the smaller logs i'll put the cable in the middle location and choke on the cable... for larger logs i'll put the cable on the side location a attache the hook to the frame instead(like in the photo)..Stanley.. my arch is probably 2.5" scd 80 pipe..and plenty solid..i have 36"between the wheels and is about 10' long on the inside..i put the middle log stop/holder about 6' from the back for picking up 8' logs.. the yellow strap is for the holding the log up to take pressure of the winch in the transporting .... solidness it is haha :D    

Sounds a bit sketchy to me. How bout you drive down to Georgia and move about 50 logs for me so I can see it in action?  :D
Nice work. I can only hope my first try looks half that good. Only modification I would make is a pintle hitch. It's much more forgiving if you get in a bind, and it won't quit on you if your log tries to pick up the back end of your vehicle. 
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Timberking 1400 w/Diesel engine and Setworks, IH 986, Kubota M5-091, Lincoln Pipeliner SA-250 Diesel Welder, Lots of Stihl, Warn 8274 Winch.

Vautour

Quote from: Dana Stanley on August 17, 2019, 08:21:59 PM
What's the hook next to the rear pulley for? You have some neat little features like the lug wrench holder! You are definitely gaining solidarity of interest. ;D
..... the hook was added for pulling out logs out of tight spots for easy access ...one only knows how many other bell and whistle to add on as one works with it ...even thinking about adding my 10,000 pound winch ...time will tell

kelLOGg

The only thing missing is some scratches on the paint ;D.  Don't keep us waiting too much longer to see pics of it in action. Nice build.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

RAYAR

Nice looking log arch you built there, it's something I also need to build.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Crusarius

Never thought about just having a fixed end on the cable and chain for lifting. Great idea. Looks great. I need to get some of those straps and buckles for mine.

Thank You Sponsors!