iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID’ing exposed beams

Started by fwurlitzer, November 20, 2018, 10:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwurlitzer

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here could give some insight as to what type of beams I have in my new home. It was built in 1840 and has exposed beams throughout.I live in Western NY. I believe it could be "wormy" chestnut based on

the info I've been given so farsksk

Don P

The timbers look to be chestnut, third pic definitely, the bark on the log beam is not what I'm used to seeing but it could be, I'm used to seeing some smoother plate areas on a log of that size but I wouldn't say no. If that's exposed old wiring I'm seeing you might want to have an electrician take a look around ;).

moodnacreek

Looks like chestnut to me also, maybe get a piece and compare.  Sometimes red oak will take on the same color but close study will see the difference.

WDH

If it is chestnut versus oak, the medullary rays on the cross-section will not be visible to the naked eye, and the earlywood pores will have tyloses.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

That's neat, I didn't realize it had tyloses, need to try throwing a piece on the scanner and zoom in. It looks like I'm seeing where these were in a plastered house before, the light stripes where plaster squeezed between wooden lath.
It looks like the op hasn't checked back in since posting.

Woodpecker52

I think I would remove the bark of the upright timber, I bet it covers a multitude of sins (problems ie bugs!)
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!